New Tires Needed, Size???

Deno_n_Philly

Registered
Well now its time for new tires as well. I got 4500 on my stock ones. I looked up the Conti Motion.. between them and Shinko 005... I do NOT do the track.. I dont really corner hard..never dragged my knee.. to afraid to get that low..lol... but I do like to open up out of a turn to 150+.. Someone told me to get a stock size rear but a different size front? Any opinions on the tires and what size change? they said a 120/60 will give me more of a track feel? Any ideas.. thanks guys.. $ an issue also.. baby due in 32 days...

I've never heard someone recommend switching to a 120/60 front. Stick with the factory sizing, Suzuki used the sizes from the factory for a reason.

Wider is better:whistle:

Im not super knowledgeable on tires and the handling qualities, i threw that out the window last year:laugh:

SANY1177.jpg

I've never heard someone recommend switching to a 120/60 front. Stick with the factory sizing, Suzuki used the sizes from the factory for a reason.

Ive heard Shane and a few other knee draggers discuss it a bit, but again, didnt matter to me so i didnt pay attention:lol:

guy at compacc... said to stay stock size... i need a good tire now.. 5000+ miles.. good corner.. and can open up to.. help????

Too many opinions on this already, but you asked.

For long life the Michelin Pilot Road 2 is a good performer. I have it from good authority that the Bridgestone BT023 is in the same category.

For flat out performance go with the Dunlop Q2 or Bridgestone 003RS or BT016.

Stock sizing for all is my only experience, but some recommend the 190/55 sizing in the rear.

Well now its time for new tires as well. I got 4500 on my stock ones. I looked up the Conti Motion.. between them and Shinko 005... I do NOT do the track.. I dont really corner hard..never dragged my knee.. to afraid to get that low..lol... but I do like to open up out of a turn to 150+.. Someone told me to get a stock size rear but a different size front? Any opinions on the tires and what size change? they said a 120/60 will give me more of a track feel? Any ideas.. thanks guys.. $ an issue also.. baby due in 32 days...

The only advantage of the 60 series front is to lower the front by a few MM to shorten the trail. If you don't hit the twisties hard or visit a road track this will have no advantage at all. I've never seen a 60 series front tire on a busa. The 55 raises the rear a few MM also shortens the trail. The 190/55 is a very popular choice over the stock 190/50 however. In your situation, it makes little difference. I'd suggest staying with the stock 120/70 front and 190/50 rear.

If I were chosing between a "Stinko" and a Continental,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, those Germans make pretty good stuff! :beerchug:

Seens like the Shinko 005 are better then the Conti Motion.. Conti are z rate.. 149.. the Shinko are W rated, 168+... I am not looking for a track tire or anything like that.. just something i can ride around philadelphia and the jersey shore with..

Too many opinions on this already, but you asked

True dat.... which is why we have a subforum just for tires: Tires

Trust me on this.....I have done the research (lots of it): Pirelli Angels, Pilot Road 2 or Avon Storms will meet your requirements.

I have used a Shinko in the past on a GSXR1000 because of some real bad advice. IMO the Bus is too strong for a Stinko tire and will most likely break traction on any anything close to hard throttle. I have burned up 2 rear BT016 in in the last 3300 miles. It sticks hard to the road but it will not stay there if you have a heavy throttle hand on acceleration. I just put on a BT023 in the rear with a BT016 up front on good authority from the .org so we will see how it goes. You have a $12000+ bike...Dont skimp on gas quality, brake quality, maintenance intervals, or tire quality. The tires and brakes keep your A$$ off the pavement.

Look out guys, keep the remarks up and the shinko police will show up :moon:

I always go with a 190/55 series rear. Too easy to ride off the side of a 190/50 imo. But if you have big'ol chicken strips on a 190/50 you won't use that extra footprint.

I was told the BT-023 is based off the BT-021. Is that true? And how does it compare? I was at cycle gear on wed getting a new rear and thought about trying out the 23, but when he told me it was based on the 21 that killed it for me with all the problems I've seen out of the 21s. So how does the 23 measure up? I just decided to go ahead and put a 16 back on it cause I've been happy with them. Especially since I wind up doin a lot of slab riding.

The 16 is certainly a better performing tire and very popular with the corner carvers. I run a 16 front and 23 rear on my busa and it works quite well. Great grip on the front for control and twice the mileage yet plenty of stick for twisty play on the rear.

The 23 has received great reviews in the UK as well as the US. I have no beefs with the 23 what so ever. As good as it gets for a touring tire and the dual compound gives decent lateral grip.

Back