New pics of the busa

Gotta Love the Balck Busas Though... Looks Schmooooth....

I am an engineer and I can tell you that your pipe will fail sooner or later from metal fatigue unless you mount the support somehere else. I promise you this. You are looking at a min of 4-5 inches of travel on a Busa's swingarm. All that up and down movement will now transfer to the pipe and headers. Metal is not meant to give like that, at least not the metal that pipes are made from. And think of the forces that that 4-5 inches can create when you consider the magnification due to the lever effect on the pipe assembly (the further from where the force is applied, the more the force is mutliplied).

Check out an aluminum can. Looks pretty strong right. Now crush it and then bend it back and forth and see how many cycles it takes before it fails.

On the good side when it fails it will prbably not be catastrophic and will just start as a small fatigue crack that will slowly propagate the circumference at the weakest spot in the assembly.

Not trying to preach here but you cannot mess with science. It will fail unless you isolate the movement of the swingarm from the pipe. Maybe I misunderstood what you did but it looks like you made a mistake if you did in fact bolt the mount to the swingarm.

But hey the bike looks awesome!

<!--EDIT|EAKbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081787924 -->

I am an engineer and I can tell you that your pipe will fail sooner or later from metal fatigue unless you mount the support somehere else. I promise you this. You are looking at a min of 4-5 inches of travel on a Busa's swingarm. All that up and down movement will now transfer to the pipe and headers. Metal is not meant to give like that, at least not the metal that pipes are made from. And think of the forces that that 4-5 inches can create when you consider the magnification due to the lever effect on the pipe assembly (the further from where the force is applied, the more the force is mutliplied).

Check out an aluminum can. Looks pretty strong right. Now crush it and then bend it back and forth and see how many cycles it takes before it fails.

On the good side when it fails it will prbably not be catastrophic and will just start as a small fatigue crack that will slowly propagate the circumference at the weakest spot in the assembly.

Not trying to preach here but you cannot mess with science. It will fail unless you isolate the movement of the swingarm from the pipe. Maybe I misunderstood what you did but it looks like you made a mistake if you did in fact bolt the mount to the swingarm.

But hey the bike looks awesome!
I'm an engineer(mechanical) also and I agree... the travel of the suspension is too much to be transferred into the thin metal of an exhaust pipe.  

I would fabricate a bracket of some sort to bolt into the holes of your old foot rest.

<!--EDIT|fstbusa
Reason for Edit: "spelling error"|1081790932 -->

Hey, your bike's rear looks GREAT that way! Very unique. Good luck with that moving exhaust system thing. I wouldn't ride behind ya! ;)

...time for screens on the fairing openings too!!!

Looks good!!! Keep an eye on the pipe and manifold stress points.

firedevil.gif

Bike looks good Undrpsi.  I was just wondering.  What do you have for a rear turn signal?  I did the same mod by cutting the rear fender but I left the brackets where the rear reflectors are.  After removing the reflectors, I drilled the hole a little wider using a 3/8" bit (I think...) and purchased some short stalk signals from Lockhart Phillips for about $15 and mounted them there.  Looks sweet on my ride doesn't it?
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|bacharles
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081801873 -->

Vicious2.JPG

Back