New member/owner

nintastio

Registered
Hey everyone,

New to the forum and the busa world. Started riding in 2004 on an '02 R1 and switched to an '06 GSXR 1000 a few years later. Took a few years off riding while I was building a few different cars. Recently decided to pick up a 2000 hayabusa that needs a bit of work. So far I've had a lot of fun tearing it down and looking it over.

I'm not much into chrome, but the frame and swingarm are both polished and it has a lot of chrome accessories. So far I've removed all the plastic chrome covers, the LED lights, wheel spikes and basically just trying to get it close to stock again.

Need to replace the windscreen also, I will never understand why people put on a windscreen you can't even see through! I'm 6' 155lbs so I can tuck my whole body up under the screen so I need something I can see through. Once I have the mechanical issues ironed out I will paint the bike black. The previous owner vinyl wrapped some of the pieces and it peeled the paint off when it was removed. There will be a lot of sanding in my future.

Seems like the forum here has a good group of people and happy to be here!

00000_grAkEEab0Y8z_0gw0co_1200x900.jpg

00o0o_bzB4Fd0O17Zz_0gw0co_1200x900.jpg

Welcome and congrats on the upgrade! Agree with the chrome windscreen causing issues. Have heard several folks complain that the sun on the chrome caused the gauges to melt. Chrome looks good and I have had my share of chrome accessories, so you just have to remember everyone makes their bike the way they want it. Enjoy the rebuild and keep us posted.

Thanks everyone!

I agree 100% that everyone has different taste when it comes to upgrades and mods. When it comes to chrome accessories, not my thing but I totally get why someone else would like it. Which is great, because I can resell them to buy stock pieces! It seems rather hard to find the stock carbon fiber looking panel that bolts to the gauge cluster though.

If the plastics were in good condition I would probably just leave it red like it is, but the paint is in horrible condition so I will paint it matte black to match my CTSV. I will have to put the decals back on it after its painted also. I love the look of a stock gen1 busa.

There used to be lots. If you need help hit up Steve at Smithers Customs.
Thanks for the suggestion, I've heard nothing but good things about Smithers. They will be there first place I call if I end up not wanting to tear into the transmission myself. I forgot to put in the original post the bike has no first gear. All other gears work fine and it doesn't kick to neutral at all. Just grinds when I let out the clutch in first.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've heard nothing but good things about Smithers. They will be there first place I call if I end up not wanting to tear into the transmission myself. I forgot to put in the original post the bike has no first gear. All other gears work fine and it doesn't kick to neutral at all. Just grinds when I let out the clutch in first.
I was stationed at Leavenworth for a few years and took my bikes there and visited the shop quite a bit. Steve and Pattie are great people. May or may not be of use, but have you checked the clutch pack?

I did not think to check the clutch pack since the other gears all work fine. I might as well take it apart just to see the condition though I suppose. Can't hurt to take a look.

Back