New busa owner!

post-52-02136-welcome.gif

post-52-02136-welcome.gif
newbie.gif
Enjoy and be safe. I always change mine hot, so I know there's some lubrication up top. Yeah it sounds like hell those first seconds. One guy on here prefills his filter. I understand what he's talking about, but the Busa would seem to make a mess vs. a bike that has the drop out filter underneath, anyway have fun.
super.gif

Welcome to the board! I use to be station @ Griffis AFB 1993-1995! I lived by the Zoo in Utica! Did some nice ridng in Syracuse!

I too have a 2007 Blue Busa. Got it a couple of weeks ago. Had the dealership roll the red and blue bikes outside and the blue won. It is definitely a pretty machine.

I changed mine at 630 mi. and it came out grey in color too. I have to believe that first 600 mi drain recommendation is very important to get that special break-in stuff out, and put in the real thing.

I can't imagine trying to get that new oil filter on if you pre filled it with oil without making a total mess all over the exhaust pipes. It is bad enough pulling off the old oil filter with oil runing on the pipes. real mess. Next time I am going to punch a hole in the lower end of the old filter and try to catch filter drainage before unscrewing it. I would recommend you change it with a warm motor though. That way any bad stuff will be in suspension and will drain out with the oil. And the motor will restart easily and pump up pressure in a couple of seconds.

Dam! took a minute and a half for the light to go out?
rock.gif
?? Seems like a hel1 of a long time to pump up to me. Was the idle up to 1000-1100RPM's? Someone said earlier it took 1100R's to pump up.

Was your motor warmed up? Choke? no, I didn't use that. My motor had been warm and the injector system was full of fuel. Mine fired right up to 1100RPM idle speed and like I said, in a couple of seconds that oil light went out. I noticed no valve noises or overhead mechanical noises at all.

Just a PITA removing that faring side and re-installing to get to the filter!!!
Mark

(4wd @ Aug. 03 2007,12:21) BTW, you did put in 4 quarts---right???
Followed the manual to a T.

Bike was warm when I drained it. Removed the filter, cleaned up the pipes. Put the new filter on. Added 3.5qts of oil. Put the faring back on. Fired it up, and was shocked at the noise, but let it idle for about 30 seconds then shut it off in fear.

Called a good friend that has worked on sport bikes, said it was normal and his R6 does it. So I fired it back up to idle and after a min it went away.

My bike idles between 950 and 1050. I adjusted the idle up to 1100 after the oil change, but now it's back down to 1000.

Man, I don't know what to tell ya. I dumped the whole 4 qts in is all that I did different from you.

I guess just run it and see if it starts to using oil, or maybe the light starts flickering at idle indicating pressure problems. There is a little chain slapping noise in mine on cold start up, but NOT excessive.
I'd keep those rpm's at 1000-1100 for sure.

Good Luck!
Mark

Ya, I haven't noticed the oil light coming on at idle. But I will continue to check. I dropped the oil at 700, and I'm nearing 1400 soon. So I will drop it again just to be safe. I will measure the oil I drain out to see if I'm burning any. She runs strong, just idles a bit low, but I'm still breaking her in.

Yeah, won't hurt I guess to change it again like you are planning. One thing, look at the drain plug closely. There is a tiny magnet in the center that attracts any iron filings in the oil. See if it is full of particles and wipe clean. Mine had just a few tiny metal 'whiskers' on it. I cleaned them off and blew the plug out real good, and hope it was just machining particles, not something internally coming apart. I certainly will watch that plug magnet next time.

Mark

OMG. Dropped the oil at 1500 miles (2nd change) and put in some BelRay 10w-40 semi-synth... Wow this bike shifts like a dream, and has really smoothed out. Awesome!

Also had to adjust the idle back up to 1200. It went back down to 950 from 1050 that I set it at last oil change.

Oil light went off after 3 seconds this oil change. Oil looked clean from the 800 miles of use.

Awesome machine! More I do to it (modding/riding) the more I love it.

Back