New busa owner, want real world feedback on these so called power mods :)

chawkins2001

Registered
First time busa owner here, and would like real world feedback from you guys. I have looked at a lot of vendor sites saying that the following will add performance:

-shorter velocity stacks (read this will add power up top but you will give up some mid range power)
-pair valve mod
-headers worth it for the money

My bike has 1300 miles on it and is a 2020 which came with Yoshimura CF slip ons, everything else is stock on the bike. So far I have ordered a Sprint air filter, lowerings links, catless mid section to replace the stock section, and still deciding which tuner to go with, any recommendations are welcome. It looks like Lee's Performance Center in NC is the one I am leaning towards.

Once I get used to the first round of mods, I would like to add a air shifter and sprocket change more suited to dragging and not top speed runs. Look forward to you guys responses.

The two lady's side by side:drool:

20211216_140116.jpg

shorter velocity stay will make more hp if the motor is tuned for them. the stock stacks are different lengths and suzuki also has to consider engine noise regulations rather than just hp when choosing lengths. pair valve block offs will help with dyno tuning the engine because they block air injection into the exhaust stream. its an emissions device but they don’t add hp. any exhaust mods will make the busa faster, the stock system is heavy and restrictive. if you goal is to drag race, go with a full system and sell your slip ons. header design affects hp and if you pay attention to exhaust systems on busas, you will see a trend with certain brands for drag busas vs touring busas.

Tons and tons of info on these bikes as over the years, just about everything has been done to them-there are no surprises anymore.

-Sprint air filters are known for flowing a lot of air but not stopping much in the way of fine particles.
-Headers are great for saving weight and adding a bit of power
-Different length of intake velocity stacks are questionable...there are many write ups regarding these-I'm not well read into them personally.

If you take a bike such as yours, add a decent exhaust system, air filter, tune, flash, you can expect it to gain upwards of 13-18 hp over stock....that is the number I've been seeing on almost all the old threads and write ups...there are exceptions of course...some dynos are generous, some bikes make more power out of the box...etc...

You'll note the weight loss to be the biggest gain with an exhaust change...

Last edited:
Have the ecu flashed(Lees can do that too), as the secondary throttle plates can be set to open more efficiently, the timing can be advanced at lower rpms(you'll feel it under 6k rpm) the fans turn on 10 degrees sooner or more, the top speed limiter is disabled, and a few other things as well.
Lee's can also dyno tune through the ecu, so there is no need for a piggyback air/fuel module like a PowerCommander.

Have the ecu flashed(Lees can do that too), as the secondary throttle plates can be set to open more efficiently, the timing can be advanced at lower rpms(you'll feel it under 6k rpm) the fans turn on 10 degrees sooner or more, the top speed limiter is disabled, and a few other things as well.
Lee's can also dyno tune through the ecu, so there is no need for a piggyback air/fuel module like a PowerCommander.
Hi. The big question is how much money do you want to spend? I should have not bought my bike as there is few parts on my bike that are stock or not modified. It is as of not about $80,000.00.

First time busa owner here, and would like real world feedback from you guys. I have looked at a lot of vendor sites saying that the following will add performance:

-shorter velocity stacks (read this will add power up top but you will give up some mid range power)
-pair valve mod

My bike has 1300 miles on it and is a 2020 which came with Yoshimura CF slip ons, everything else is stock on the bike. So far I have ordered a Sprint air filter, lowerings links, catless mid section to replace the stock section, and still deciding which tuner to go with, any recommendations are welcome. It looks like Lee's Performance Center in NC is the one I am leaning towards.

Once I get used to the first round of mods, I would like to add a air shifter and sprocket change more suited to dragging and not top speed runs. Look forward to you guys responses.

The two lady's side by side:drool:

View attachment 1645705
I did all short stacks, full exhuast and air filter, pair removed, small airbox mod pretty much lost most bottom end and really wasnt that much quicker... but when I went +2 in the back -1 in the front wow did it wake up the bike!

Thanks for the feedback guys. Jeffsyh, so you lost bottom end performance with your bolt ons? Did you do a before and after dyno?
I will definitely do the gearing then, is there anything in the ecu you gave to change with gearing so the mph are accurate on the speedo?
What brand sprockets do you guys recommend?

Thanks for the feedback guys. Jeffsyh, so you lost bottom end performance with your bolt ons? Did you do a before and after dyno?
I will definitely do the gearing then, is there anything in the ecu you gave to change with gearing so the mph are accurate on the speedo?
Sprocket brands are almost like chains and tires in this forum...

I use Supersprox as I wanted a lightweight steel sprocket for durability...others use Vortex aluminum sprockets....it's pretty much all a matter of taste.

You are correct.

-pair valve mod
Lightens the bike by a half pound but not gonna make more hp. I guess you have less air exiting the airbox but I still have never heard it was a way to boost hp.

Yes. Aftermarket headers flow optimally with whatever muffler(s) match up to them. The stock header is also a lot heavier.

I have ordered a Sprint air filter
That will be be god for a few top end hp which will help if you're racing. I own a BMC race filter but never use it because I don't race.

You aren't going to feel any real change with all the mods you mentioned other than weight loss with the full system.

I would like to add a air shifter and sprocket change more suited to dragging and not top speed runs.
These two you will notice. You will probably go with taller gearing for drag racing which is going to make the bike feel a bit less punchy down low. I find my busa will wheelie unexpectedly if I do a moderately hard launch with stock gearing. For sport riding fun, I'd prefer shorter gearing with a +5T rear but I wouldn't want to try a drag launch with that. I also loved the quickshifter I had on my other bike and will definitely try one on my busa. It's just a blast!

The two lady's side by side
NICE!

If you're into racing, you might notice an improvement with all the mods you mentioned especially when you look at your ET but street riding and sport riding, I think your looking at a total of approximately +10 peak hp which you can't feel unless maybe you get so accustomed to riding in that range. The sound of a full system or slipon makes the bike sound a lot faster. Shorter gearing makes it feel a lot more powerful. Some really light wheels will make it feel quicker too. Weight loss mods will be what you can actually feel. If you want to feel the difference between stock power and modded power, throw a few thousand bucks into it and get a turbo.

Mine a gen 1 and I never got it dyno'd or tuned so probably would have pick up a few hp? I use votex on my front sprocket and any steal rear sprocket (I just don't trust aluminum).

Back