New 'Busa owner in the S.F. Bay Area.

B Strong

Registered
FNG here on the forum, new to the 'Busa, not anything close to a new rider.

Due to my 2004 Yamaha R1 being totaled out from under me on 27 July 2010:

My R1 was totaled out from under me 7-27-10. - BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

I was in the market for a new bike. I needed something that would be good for two up riding with my girl, and another R1 or GSXR etc. was out of the question.

I finally decided on the 'Busa, bought a 2003 with 6500 miles on the odo, all service recoders, one owner (pics forthcoming)

Bought it Friday afternoon, about 70 miles since, and man, do I have questions.

This bike is dead nuts stock with the exception of a zero gravity screen, just had a 7500 mile service done at th dealer less than 300 miles ago.

Brakes? what brakes? the thing needs a full hand squeeze to slow down, and you need to make an appointment in advance to get it done - I actually blew a stop sign at under 20 mph! thank God nobody was around. I'm used to 1 finger stops on the R1 (full Galfer lines, waves, etc) and I can't believe the 'Busa has brakes this bad from the factory.

The service records show regular pad replacement, and the brakes were done under 300 miles ago.

Any advice? I've already ordered Galfer lines and new rotors - I'm going to try the Bremzen (made in Taiwan, I know, but they do have a certain expertise in metal manufacturing) rotors with the knowledge that they might not be suitable.

Any 'Busa experts with some advice from experience?

Welcome to the oRg, combine your new lines with improved pads and you will have easy 2 finger stops. I use the EBC HH pads.

Greetings from Sac congrad on the new Busa you got alot heavier bike as you found out from your R1 new bike going to learn new respect for her , I suggest Ebc hh pads and dont ride her like a R1 you got a new animal now . welcome to the board.:beerchug:

:welcome: As others have said, EBC HH pads with your new lines and rotors will make a huge difference.

:welcome: i had the same problem when i get off my 08 r1 and jump on a busa just took me a little time to get used to that bike :cheerleader:

Your R1 got streetfightered!!!:laugh:

Sorry, just the first thing that came to mind. As for Busa brakes, well, they just suck. Forget about you R1 brakes, thinkiin f will just make you miss them. The HH pads and SS lines will help as well as rotors. Depending on you cash flow, Brembo!!
The brakes work, just not real well, so the quick and inexpensive option is adjust your braking points, but you probly already figured that out already:whistle:

Hey Bill! Welcome to our house :beerchug:

Yes sadly brakes are the weakest link on the Busa Gen I. and like towtonevert said SS or Carbon lines with HH pads make it all good, if you really wanted to make her stop on a dime Brembo or Berringer complete set up would be the ticket but $$$. I think you will like them a lot better after the simple and affrodable fix.

Let me know if your riding up North, Chico, Redding, Red Bluff, hwy 36, 32.162 ...

New owners - Change immediately;

Brake pads to EBC "HH" (like said) Bed them properly without haste.
Braided lines.
New fluids for all. (Clutch & Brakes)
Your tyres. (crap)
Your CHAIN! (junk)

The best.
icon2.gif
Castrol LMA 'Low Moisture Activity'
castrol_gt_lma_brake_fluid_12oz_LG.jpg

:welcome:

Nice! If you want some ideas to make her look a little different here is how I had my 03 silver styled

IMG_0940b.jpg

April-Stuff-09 034b.jpg

May07 009.jpg

Back