New and have question

rrogers1973

Registered
I have not posted to this board before so here is a little background. I have an 03 Busa and the only mod is a full tri oval exhaust I installed. I am about to do the airbox, and install a power commander and have it mapped. My question is I am not at all disappointed in my busa but love to ride wheelies. I have to clutch it a little in second and have yet to be able to pull one up in third, any suggestions whether it would help to add more horsepower or lighten bike somehow or would a gear change help, maybe I just need some riding advise.

Welcome to the board. Drop one on the front sprocket, only costs $20-25 for the part and its easy to change.
wink.gif

Weight plays a role also...A lighter rider will help the bike wheelie more so than a heavier rider...The cheapest upgrade that you can make would be to swap the sprockets 16/42 is a great combination for the street and wheelies...Still depending on your weight I don't think you will realistically be pulling 3rd gear wheelies...You don't own a liter bike...You need pratice more than anything then you'll be swapping gears in the air...
evil.gif

I ride an 03 busa as well, but i do alot of street racing, dropping a tooth on the front or going up in the rear really hurts your top end and makes it harder to hold down, I actually went down in the rear to a 39 and I bring it up at 100 mph with out problem but I have extra horses,. but even before the horse upgrade I learned how to bring it up in 2nd, I must say Ive never had to clutch.

How easy is it to swap sprockets? Is it like a 20-30 minute job or does it require special tools and lots of time?

rear sprocket is just taking the rearwheel off and bolting on the new sprocket nothing hard about it. The front sprocket im not to sure about cause i havent done it myself but the rear should take about 20 mins if your not using the toolkit that came with the bike

the front sprocket kinda sux, because you have to take off the fairing and chain cover, still not too difficult though, while your in there disconnect your speedometer and you wont add any more mile,
smile.gif

Hmm is that honest?  

<!--EDIT|him
Reason for Edit: None given...|1106518035 -->

A tooth down is alot of fun to ride, if your only mod is the airbox and a pipe, Id suggest only going up one on the rear, if I understand it right, one down on the front is like 3 up on the rear.

16/42 is a pretty common combination. Getting that done to mine. I'm not a big wheelie guy though. Welcome to the board!

Back