Never disconnect your kickstand sensor

2hip

Registered
Would like to relate a story that happened at Infineon on a track day awhile back. Group A was out riding and they got pulled in off of the track about 10 minutes after start due to something being on the track...don't remember if it was water, debris...what? Most group A riders don't have kickstands because they don't use these bikes on the street "a generalization"...but one of the guys in the group had a kickstand and used it in the staging area while they awaited their return to the track. Most of the guys just doffed their gloves and helmets and sat on bikes waiting...the word came to take off again with almost no warning...the kid had to jump back on his bike cause he was visiting a buddy couple of bikes back...get gloved and helmeted in a hurry...bikes were already gunning up...flagged to go he stood the bike up and took off...some of the guys saw his kickstand down and started screaming to stop him...at Infineon the staging area is in the middle of one of the longer straights and then a wickedly sharp hard left...he was down to about 40 mph when he tipped in...let's just say he got his moneys worth on the helicopter ride out of Infineon. If you have a kickstand, please, never disconnect your kickstand sensor. It is there for a very good reason...2hip

I've always been so annoyed at the kickstand sensor on my bikes (2 of them). Obviously it has saved my skin a number of times then.....

I have a friend that high-sided because her former mechanic bypassed the kickstand sensor on her bike. She was able to ride home, but was very sore for a few days.

My Night Hawk didn't have a kickstand sensor. It only had a rubber tip that was to kick it up if you for got to put it up and tip in for a left turn. It never worked that way. The few times I forgot it was a little scary. The kickstand would dig in and the whole bike would translate 6 inches to the right. With the kickstand out of the way the bike would continue in the left hand corner. It always make my heart skip a beat.

Horrible story. Great warning and great advice.

For all their low-performance design deficiencies, I've always appreciated the big kickstand on Harleys, at least my Sportster. It locks in when the bike is leaned over but flips up easily when the weight is off, and it's so wide, you have a hard time missing when taking off.

Compare that to the Busa and it shames me how many times I've had the engine die because I forgot the friggin kickstand.

I had to disconnect my kickstand sensor to troubleshoot electrical issues on the bike. I did go on a few short rides like that and was very observant. Felt much easier when I re-connected it back.

Well, I will take the other side of this and say that when I went with a custom billet stand I took mine off and converted it into a secret kill switch when parked. Every rider has to go with their own comfort level. I will say the story points out a key point...if you run the track, leave the switch or for that matter, ditch the stand as most race bikes do not use them due to weight considerations.

I use my kick stand to kill the bike, every time I shut it off. I do this for the opposite reason, being in this habit guarantees that I never lean the bike over on a stand that isn't there.

Back in the "good 'ol days", bikes didn't have kickstand sensors. How did we ever survive?:laugh:
Even today, dirtbikes still don't have 'em. How do we survive now?:laugh::laugh:
If mine ever screws up, I'll disconnect it in a heartbeat.

IMO, it takes a certain amount of awareness to ride a motorcycle. Lacking that awareness, well...

Another story of how rushing into a dangerous activity is never good. I pray the rider is okay and I'm glad no one else was injured. Take care all.

Back