Need some undertail help

MN72Busa

Formerly known as "Zuki"
Donating Member
Registered
I thought installing my UFO undertail would be pretty straight forward, but...Im having issues. Got everything wired up correctly, so thats fine. I cut my stock fender flush if not sub-flush with the subframe.

Now here the issue...Im close, but not close enough to put the pushpins in without lots of stress on the pushpins. When I take the pins out (Have only tried 2 pins in) the undertail moves forward torward the seat about 2 inches...Ok Im stumped. Ive followed the undertail walkthrough on the sticky post, and thought I followed it to a "T", but aint lining up properly.

Almost seems like the top of the undertail is rubbing against the top of the old stock fender...should it be like this?

Hard to tell without seeing it.

But maybe you need to trim some more stock undertail somewhere.  Can you see the UFO touching the stock undertail anywhere?

Or maybe the UFO undertail's holes weren't drilled correctly.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137793435 -->

I think the holes are drilled correctly.

I can get 1 side lined up but not the other....I can get either left or right but not both sides. for whatever reason it seems like Im 1/2 inch off, and I say the holes are drilled correctly because whatever side I line up, from the back I can see the undertail off by about 1/2 inch. I dont want to push on it to hard...not trying to force things. And if I cut off anymore stock fender, Im not gonna have any stock fender left...lol

www.thevmc.com Link no longer works

stock fender trimed same height on both sides

Ok this is the right side not lining up when I have a push pin in the left side...shows how much Im not lining up

another shot of the trim ob, it was alot neater, but since its not fitting properly, I keep trimming

rear shot...kept trimming it back, because when its lined up and I let go of the undertail, it want to move forward about an inch

as you can see, I trimmed alot of plastic

left side

<!--EDIT|valium
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137797257 -->

Shows the rear, I have the pushpin in the left side, and you cant really tell but the right side is off, and cant line it up to put in a pushpin and you can see the undertail is not lining up properly...something is stoping it from seating properly...but what???

If anyone can help me out I would really appreciate - Im sick of breaking plastic stuff....also if you need a better pic of something let me know.
blush.gif

Same problem with mine.. I ended up using screws, just like fairing once... Fiberglass could be like that.

Was those holes predrilled? Make sure back side of the stock undertray is not touching your undertail.

Holes were pre-drilled from extreme graphic. Holes lineup on left and right side, and only place touching seems to be on the top if that makes sense
rock.gif
Seems like a real close fit...almost ready to pull the stock fender out of the bike, but thats a last resort.

It might be top part of undertail touching upper part of taillight housing.
Try using pushpins from center of the bike on both sides then both on center of the undertail and see if it is ligned up correctly then the problem in taillight housing.

<!--EDIT|valium
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137848285 -->

Back