Need some feedback on new chain decision

justintime2

What's your story?
Donating Member
Registered
Have norowed my new chain selection to the following:
DID 530 ZVM Xring
EK 530 ZVX
-Any feedback on these two chains, good or bad?
-Are you guys having the chain put on or buying the tool and doing it yourself?
-Are the tools universal and will work on both chains?
Which is the best tool to get for function and $?
-How many links do I need? I think it is 112.

The current chain has stretched beyond my comfort level after only 4500 miles. I am very mechanically inclined and am pretty set on getting a chain tool and doing it myself, unless the there are horror stories of why it shouldn't be done outside a shop.
smile.gif

Also anyone have good recommendation for a new set of sprockets? Specific brand/model and websites to purchase. Sprockets are in good shape as i clean and lube regularly. But if it is cheap enough I may just replace for peace of mind and think about trying a 16/43 set-up! TIA
smile.gif

smile.gif

i think ronayers also has kits too bout 200 bucks. I didnt the chain thing it sucks as. you'll need a chain breaker and a rivit tool and a master link if you dont have one. I tried using pliers but they didnt work so i ended up taking it to the dealer to have them rivet the master link for me. Got rapped for 20 bucks on five mins of work.

Thanks guys! parts411.com has them for $137 & $138 respectively and I have done business with them before for tires. Note sure on sprockets though. Does the chain come with a master rivet link or is that ordered seperately? What tool for all this?
smile.gif

the master link is a like that you take apart to put the chain together. Check your bike casue i found the hard way mine didnt have one. There are 2 types of master links. A clip master link and rivet master link. A clip master link uses a clip to hold the plates of the chain on keeping you chain to gether a rivet actually bends the pins of the chain out when they pass through the plates of the chain. I dont think they make clip master links for our chains, or thats what the rappiest at the stealership told me.

A rivet tool is what is used to press the chain plates together and it bends the pins over the plate keeping them secure.

Hey justintime, I ordered a chain breaker/chain press from Newportcycleparts.com. I paid only $40 for it and it works great. It serves as a breaker and press simultaneously. Also order 2 or three extra press pins just in case. I think the pins cost about 3 or 4 dollars each. Usually the only way you'll break a pin is if the pin is not centered on the rivet when you're pressing it out. I've been having one for a couple years now and have changed a few chains, and I've only broken one pin. (basically from not paying attention to see if pin was centered...). Trust me, it's not necessary to spend the one-to-two hundred bucks on a fancy shmancy chain breaker. The $40 one works just as good.

Actually I run the D.I.D. that you previously mentioned. Graded for 10,300 lbs of tensile strength and it comes pre-stretched from the factory. I've had mine on for a little over 3000 miles and haven't made one adjustment to it yet. (I ride hard and wheelie on occassion...
biggrin.gif
). There are also advantages an x-ring chain has over a conventional o-ring chain. The two that come to mind is that the x-ring holds lubrication better and it also helps keep dirt out (not my personal testimony, but from articles I've read comparing the two). When ordering, you must order a master link. They don't come with them.

As far as master links are concerned, I personally prefer the rivet type. For a bike with the torque that the Busa pulls, I wouldn't chance a clip-type master link. Now, I've heard from people who actually race their bikes that the clip-type is fine, but I wouldn't ever dream of using one. Not unless you're planning on tack-welding that clip into place...
laugh.gif
tounge.gif
As a matter of fact, I've found that Newport Cycle parts has probably the best prices on chains and accessories. If I remember correctly, I think I paid about $130 for my D.I.D. ZVM x-ring.

Just a word of caution and you may already know this. When taking out links in a chain, this actually means the pins. DO NOT COUNT ENTIRE LINKS!! Example: If you count out 6 pins consecutively, that is the equivalent of 12 links. So in other words... one pin is equal to two links. Trust me on this one, I had to find out the hard way.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Oh yeah and here's the link to Newport Cycle Parts Prices are good and their service is great. I've ordered from them on several occassions and I have always been satisfied.

Back