stock chain tensile rating

jimbob8915

Registered
Only 4k on my Busa and chain is eating up my rear 43t vortex aluminum sprocket.  Going to get a sprocket/chain combo kit and was looking at the chain tensile ratings of the different brands an types.  I am however at a loss for the rating on a stock chain.  What is it?  TIA  Jim

SHOCKED.gif
. Who makes that? The best I have seen is 11k. I am curious about a 630 kit. Does anyone make a 630 conversion for a busa? I have seen 630 kits for Kawi street bikes but none for a busa.

Sidewinder Chains and Sprockets. I have one on my bike and have yet to adjust it since I mounted it....we have them in stock as well. Not cheap at 225.00 but you won't be buying chains every three months either.

(jimbob8915 @ Apr. 30 2007,20:43) Only 4k on my Busa and chain is eating up my rear 43t vortex aluminum sprocket.  Going to get a sprocket/chain combo kit and was looking at the chain tensile ratings of the different brands an types.  I am however at a loss for the rating on a stock chain.  What is it?  TIA  Jim
Jimbo ,

My opinion is to not buy a chain based on it's tensile rating alone nor to place alot of stock in that rating alone . Does it come into play ? Yes , but there's more to building a chain than that . Rollers , especially the pins and even the side plates make a difference . There are lower tensile stenght chains available that to an extent make for a better all around street chain long term .

Using EK Chains as example they offer a streetable Sportman 530 race chain called the DR2 for 250hp bikes . Tensile strength is 10,500

Economy EK Busa chain in their line is the ZVX530 with 10,560 tensile strenght .

Upper tier from those guys is the ZZZ with a 11,000 tensile rating .

Of those three chains only the ZZZ with a moderate tensile rating of 11,000 " some 630's are over 15,500 " offers what they call ZST " Zero Stretch Technology "

High tensile metalurgy being prone to breaking before bending deserves another topic " steel crankshafts vs modular iron as example "  but when you have two metals of vastly different rockwell hardness running on each other one is gonna give . It appears in your case the aluminum gave .

I don't use EK chains myself but if you have time cruise their website . There's alot of information there that might help decide on you next chain/sprocket purchase .

Zero Stretch Technology

I was talking to a chain guy the other day and he was saying the stock Busa chain was somehere in the 8000 range.  My EK is 11500.  The link pins are definetly bigger than stock.  Never hear of a 530 16000lb er

Don't need the EK (11.5) unless you put out over 200HP stock will handle to that level. Just remember the high tensiles are most likely going to be non-o'ring and will require lots of maint. if it's a daily driver, plus wear faster than stock.

I kinda figured that the stock chain was in the 8-9k tensile rating because the other RK chains of the same type are in that range. I am not really sure my chain is shot, my rear aluminum sprock sure is. I got a good deal already on a Yana Shiki kit ($144 delivered). The Yana Shiki chain is rated at 10200lbs. It should be an upgrade. I will be gatting a sidewinder kit when the Yani Shiki gets bad
biggrin.gif

If you are really into testing like we are, find someone who will do negative horsepower testing, so you will see drag results via your chain as well.

If you absolutely want things set up correct The sidewinder Extreme Titanium Gold 16K is the way to go. If you get the tri-metal rear sprock its lightweight and warranteed for life. So build quality with their products is not a concern. Not sure how many sprocket have lifetime warranty's......
super.gif

Sidewinder Chains and Sprockets. I have one on my bike and have yet to adjust it since I mounted it....we have them in stock as well. Not cheap at 225.00 but you won't be buying chains every three months either. [/Quote]

The busa and vortex aluminum sprocket do not go hand n hand.....the busa has way to much torque for a aluninum sprocket....plus its not even worth it if your trying to get hp compared to the steel sprockets that are way better

Back