Need some advice on buffing out some "rubbed" plastic

Payne

Registered
Well I have a feeling there is no such a word as "rubbed" but I think you all know what I mean. Some jagoff was reversing his minivan and hit my busa (****er had around 8 FEET behind him) and he still went into my bike.

The impact was on the front fender, pushed the bike EIGHT goddamn inches but she still didnt tip over (thank you Lord), unfortunately it left some weird smudges on the fender (you know the one that occurs when you rub plastic on plastic).

Is there any easy homemade way to get rid of those smudge marks?

And yes, that jackass sped off before I was able to run up and write down his license.

If it left a "smudge mark as you state, I've had sucess by first lightly wet sanding the area with 2000 grit sand paper and then rubbing it by hand with 3M 6085 fine rubbing compound. Then wax and rub out with microfiber cloth. Good luck.

Use wet 3000 grit. I would get Quixx (best scratch remover on the market). The pros use it to removes scratches and swirls. I painted my whole entire bike and used Quixx to buff the paint to look like shiny glass. Didn't even use a clear coat.

Last edited by a moderator:
DONT use too strong of rubbing compound like No.7 I suggest one of the best stuff I have come accross lately KIT scratch Out and its cheap less than $5 from PEP Boys.

Follow up with a good wax or Polymer. IMHO try this before sand paper or something aggressive.

scratchtest2002.jpg

Use wet 3000 grit. I would get Quixx (best scratch remover on the market). The pros use it to removes scratches and swirls. I painted my whole entire bike and used Quixx to buff the paint to look like shiny glass. Didn't even use a clear coat.

I've used this product and it does a very good job on rubs and even scratches. I recommend it.:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
The first thing I would try would be the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponge thingys. They are very effective on rust marks and rub marks on bumper covers, etc so I would go with them first and then try the more heavy duty stuff later if the eraser doesn't work.

Yeah I used this Scratch remover product I found in my garage and after a few layers, it got rid of the smudge marks. Used some wax after and it looks ALMOST perfect. If you wouldn't know about it, you wouldn't see anything, I see it when I really look at it.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Fortunately the damage wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be when I heard "Hey someone is pushing your bike". I think its time to invest in an perimeter alarm.

wow never seen anyone take the lords name in vain and then turn right around and thank him... (this is a family board of sorts ya know..) :whistle:

Back