Need recommendation on how to prevent sliding back on acceleration

IG.

Registered
I've always had this problem for some reason. And what ends up happening is that I am using the handlebars to hold me from sliding, which of course creates an unwanted steering input.

I try to clench to the bike by squeezing my knees, and although I do have "tank slapper" plastic around the tank, it doesn't hold me enough.

I know I could alter the seat to have a bump in it, but somehow that would limit my ability to move around the seat when I need to.

I had a crazy idea of putting velcro on the sides of the tank, and on the inner thighs of my pants, but I am afraid this might cause other side effects.

So, I'd like to know how others deal with this issue.

I did move my footpegs a little to the rear for more aggressive body position, but moving them even further back would make it a bit uncomfortable.

I do try to lay down on the tank, and I am sorry to admit that my belly prevents me from laying down completely. So, I am working on reducing it regardless of anything else.

Seat cowl?
I am 5-11 265 lbs with plenty in the stomach lol and I havent had an issue with getting low enough to hang on. Between the grip, laying on the tank, knees, and the seat hump you should be set for 300 mph I would think.

it sounds to me like you are trying to keep yourself too far forward in the seat...under hard acceleration, let yourself slide back to the hump and learn to ride there (which should also help you get lower on the tank) when pinning the throttle and then slide back up once you are up to speed...i don't have that far to slide (currently 6' 308 lbs.) and it might not work for slender people but it wouldn't hurt to try

Seat cowl?
I am 5-11 265 lbs with plenty in the stomach lol and I havent had an issue with getting low enough to hang on. Between the grip, laying on the tank, knees, and the seat hump you should be set for 300 mph I would think.

After reading your post I agree.

are you using the stock seat? maybe a different seat made for ya would help with this...

do you have the stomp grips installed on the sides of your tank? they helped me maintain better form in the twisties and support my upright riding position for proper ergo's. they don't really look to appealing but they work for me.

replace "tank slapper" with stomp grip. This stuff really works great.

What prevents me from sliding around is leather on leather friction. I had put a strip of leather down the center of my CF seat. When I wear leathers the strip prevents me from sliding back. It gives alot of grip but if I have jeans on I'll slide in the seat.

another for the stomp grips. riding too far forward isn't a very likely issue and there is only so much a seat can do. stomp grips help immensely, especially since with sport bikes you want to hold your body weight with your legs/arse rather than putting unnecessary inputs/weight onto the bars (kieth code - twist of the wrist)

Also, considering your foot position, this seems all too often ignored, but the difference makes a huge impact to the leverage your legs can get....

Ask yoruself, which is easier to hold on with, the pressure you can squeeze between your legs, or the transfering of that acceleration to extra pressure holding you forward on the pegs...

Remember, they aren't their just to hold your feet up.... the pegs are for working!

If your riding with those pegs all the way back to your heels, most of the acceleration, slides your feet back accross the peg...

Get that peg closer to the ball of your feet, suddenly your given a momment that your able to apply to the peg pushing you forward...

experiment with that foot position, see if it doesnt help out a bit.

This is real simple, a TOBIN with a HUMP PAD :cheerleader:

OR, another 100 Big Mac's with Super Size Fries :rofl:

Gotta agree with Goatcart - leg position. Had the same problem as OP and using the rear hump gave me a reassuring slap in the butt. Now i never need that to stop me.

Good body position with your feet hooked firmly into the stirrups (foot pegs) really helps keep you in place. That and hunkering down low over the top of the tank. In addition to keeping you planted and thoroughly in control of the bike (not pulling against the handlebars), both of these really help keeping the front end down under hard acceleration.

OK, guys - thanks for many responses.

To clarify, I am about 5'9", always ride in leathers, always have the hump ON instead of the rear seat, alway close to the tank for good control and relaxed hands, and my feet are always rest on the footpegs at their balls. And the footpegs have been moved back as far as I am confortable.

I have to admit that there is plenty of room between my butt and the hump. As some suggested, I could let my butt slide back on acceleration, but I feel I would lose a good degree of control as my hands would be stretched. I will give it a shot though.

I will look into stomp grip - never heard before, but so many of you vouched for them. I agree that 'tank slapper' product does a marginal job of holding me.

Accelerating hard at higher rpm literally feels like the force is ripping the handlebars out of my hands. And this happens at the worst time, when the front is light and the bike may be slightly leaned.

I don't want to replace the entire seat because sometimes I need to slide back - like for high speed runs - not necessarily the quickest acceleration. I would try some sort of an addition to a stock seat which effectively creates a bump in the seat - but this shouldn't be too ugly.

Will need to sort this out. Thanks for everyone's input!

Update: OK. Just ordered Stomp Grips!

When accerating your main control is in your body position, as many may have noticed when accerating or just going at a decent speed the bike likes to stay up and the front wheel likes to stay straight and not turn. So as far as slightly extended arms making you lose a sigificqnt amount of control is all in your head or you should think about a motorcycle driving class to touch up on some skill, I know abate offers a more advance course
Posted via Mobile Device

Assuming you are talking about 1/4 mile runs. I knew a guy that had similar issues so he took a 2 liter Coke bottle and laid it across his seat then secured it to the hump with two-sided velcro. It kept him from sliding back and when he left the track he pulled the bottle off and went his merry way. All that's left is the velcro strip on the hump. Next time at the track he attached the bottle and make his passes. Cheap, easy, affective...not the most attractive though.

Back