Need New For Springs

Enginerd

Registered
Well this topic has been beat to death, but before I go ordering toys, I need some advice.  I dont trust my speed shop here (Ducati) because they are stuck up a*****s and the very first time I went in, some guy on a BMW 1100GS came in a ***** the guy out for setting up his suspension wrong and the guy figured out that he ordered/installed the wrong springs.  So here is the info I am looking for...

1. Spring rate I should get for front forks... (I'm 300 lbs)
  Race Tech - .85, .90, .95, 1.0,  1.1, 1.2
All priced between 110 and 130 bucks... any other companies sell what I need for a competitive price?

2.  What else do I need besides springs when I take the front apart?  My shop that I got the bike at will be doing the work, so i wont need the tools, just curious is there are other accessories that I will need.

There is a thread here showing a play by play on working on the forks. Ping Vman1300. He should be able to give you a good guess on the rate and maybe even a source
smile.gif

I'm getting ready to do mine.

In addition to your springs I would recommend replacing you fork seals and dust seals. I just did mine last Sunday, it took about two hrs to completely remove,replace seals and install back on to my bike.

Rider Weight: 300 lbs.
Recommended Spring Rate: 1.129 kg/mm

Stock Fork Spring Rate (measured): .850 kg/mm (stock)

There are some places (GP Suspension comes to mind) that will change springs for you for just the cost of the springs. Per Racetech's calculator you will want 1.1-1.2 springs minimum.

you know GIXERHP is doing at least 4 sets of forks for members here (mine included) with springs, valves and what ever else... you might see if he can fit yours in too...

Just do a search for front forks by CAT3 and change your own springs and valves etc.
I just finish changing my seals. The cartridge and springs has to be removed when doing this, no biggie.

Basic hand tools needed and a ratchet tie down to keep the spring compressed.

22.jpg

Racetech is the way to go. I just had 1.0 springs, gold valves and new seals installed. Wow what a difference. I weigh about 270.
beerchug.gif

I'm having a set of 1.0 kg springs installed now.  Having the rear lifted an inch while I'm at it.  I can't wait to ride her with the new setup.  I weigh in at 255# and was borderline for 1.1 kg springs.   At 300#, you're probably looking at 1.2 kg springs. I paid $109 for the springs at the shop.

Back