Need help...

bacharles

Korrup~shun!!
Donating Member
Registered
Guys/gals,

Can anyone (I'm sure someone can and will) tell me where I can get the socket to remove the nut on top of the upper triple tree that allows for removal of the lower tree and forks?
rock.gif
I went to a local dealership today and they wanted $87 for what is basically a special-type socket. Can anyone point me in a more money-manageable direction?

OK OK Alright Pac, I didn't have my glasses on. Now I see the line pointing to it. YES!! That's it!! You're correct.

This is for removing the steering head lock nut...correct? Part "E" in the attached manual page?

Try your local auto parts stores. Look for a pin-spanner wrench or pin socket.

Pin Socket at Autozone.com

Pin Spanner wrenches at Sears.com (an adjustable one will work)

More spanners at Sears

Good Luck...not sure where else to have you look. The torque on that is only 58 ft-lbs, so a general socket should work. You could also grind a socket to have the "pins" like the autozone one so that it would work.

steering_head.gif

The pictures will be more clear if you save/view them, but with Netscape you can right click, then "view image", then click to enlarge if it has the magnifying glass cursor over the image.
cool.gif

The autozone link didn't work for me when I tried to verify it. Here's a picture of the socket they have. Print it out and take it to a parts store.

<!--EDIT|stkr00
Reason for Edit: "added pic"|1147895619 -->

grn27046003.jpg

Not near my bike. Is it narrow area? A thin wall socket? I will look when I get home. If I have a extra socket it's yours. Let me Know.

Don't waste your money, my bro. All you need is a punch and a hammer.

That's what I did for mine both times...tear-down and rebuild.
wink.gif

Just use a regular socket, I believe I use a 1 1/4 but don't have it in front of me, just by memmory. I have removed many tripple clamps this way with no problems. Part c above.

Thanx guys. I just may have that size socket. If not, I can get it. I appreciate all of the help.

wink.gif
Oh sure Paul...take the easy way out  
tounge.gif
Well, I didn't have the tools for it.
down.gif
Friggin stealership here was gonna charge me $60 to remove it for me.

It would have only taken 2 minutes...but they said thay needed charge me the full hour since that was their standard billing practice.

TFH with them. I did it on my own. I coulda ground down some sockets, but I was too much in a rush.

Just use a regular socket, I believe I use a 1 1/4  but don't have it in front of me, just by memmory.  I have removed many tripple clamps this way with no problems.   Part c above.
Get a 12 point 1 1/4. I looked at it when I got home last night. I did not know it wasn't a 6 point. If you need one you pay shipping and I have one for you.

Just use a regular socket, I believe I use a 1 1/4  but don't have it in front of me, just by memmory.  I have removed many tripple clamps this way with no problems.   Part c above.
Get a 12 point 1 1/4. I looked at it when I got home last night. I did not know it wasn't a 6 point. If you need one you pay shipping and I have one for you.
Thanx man, I'll shoot by Autozone, Advanced Autopart, NAPA, O'Reilly's,.... heLL one of them. We've got 'em all. I'm sure I'll find it. Thanx

wink.gif
Oh sure Paul...take the easy way out  
tounge.gif
Well, I didn't have the tools for it.
down.gif
Friggin stealership here was gonna charge me $60 to remove it for me.

It would have only taken 2 minutes...but they said thay needed charge me the full hour since that was their standard billing practice.

TFH with them. I did it on my own. I coulda ground down some sockets, but I was too much in a rush.
When you live on Gilligans island you have to be inventive. and yes a punch will work.

Back