Just a few questions.....

02BusaAndy

Registered
First, I need to know what size the center nut is to take the triple trees off and is it a special tool or just a socket.
Second, I am planning on powdercoating my entire bike a crazy color and was woundering if anyone else on here has done this and do you have any pictures you can post up for me. Thanks guys..

1.25" on a metric nut? Try a 31 or 32 mm socket.

It's not a standard head fastener, it has a star shape.
No 6 point socket has 6 perfectly flat internal sides, they all have a slight curve.
A 1.25" socket fits that star shape very well, you otherwise need a socket made specifically for it.
I'm all for using metric tools on metric fasteners, but this in particular works very good.:beerchug:

I just looked into powder coating my plastics and it can be done but not many around who do it yet.So the place thats doing powder coating also do paint and will be doing my custom paint.Powder coat is nice and better than paint, will last a long time.

Well I plan on getting my frame, sub-frame, swingarm, triple trees, pegs, covers and whatever else I can get done. As for the plastice, i'm having a good friend do a custom airbrush job on it. And thanks for the help on the nut size, i'll be getting a 1 1/4 socket from work tomorrow..

For the powdercoating you might send a PM to travis, tmpowdercoating.

Under the nut on the tripple there is two pre load adjusters, you can tap the top one off with a square punch (softly) and the lower one should be near hand tight. Just make sure you have the right pressure on the bearings when you put it all back together.

That specialized socket from Suzuki that removes those funky slotted nuts is a two piece unit. Our friends at Suzuki are very proud of that little unit as well. As I remember it's up around 140 bucks. It's a very handy tool and a must have for proper torque values.

It's not a standard head fastener, it has a star shape.
No 6 point socket has 6 perfectly flat internal sides, they all have a slight curve.
A 1.25" socket fits that star shape very well, you otherwise need a socket made specifically for it.
I'm all for using metric tools on metric fasteners, but this in particular works very good.:beerchug:

I was thinking it was a special tool. No chance of major damage, right :poke:

I was thinking it was a special tool. No chance of major damage, right :poke:

I changed my top clamp and bars a couple months ago and it worked fine.
I torqued it, and rechecked it several times within a few hundred miles to find it was still torqued to spec.
The socket did not damage the fastener either.
If it wasn't torqued enough I would certainly hear the steering head bearings pop and shift in the slack, as well as feel it under braking.
I also ride my bike hard, it's sees it's share of stoppies and wheelies, yet I still have zero issues.
I already said that I prefer to use the right tool for the job, but sometimes improvision can be a sucess.
I'm still calling this one good.:beerchug:
So $140 for a specialty tool I'll use a handful of times.
Pay the dealer, that'll never happen.
Or use the 1.25"socket in my toolbox, which seemed to fit the star shape better than the metric sockets I tried

Back