Need Help With A Dragstrip

Mr Brown

Registered
I have become involved with the running of a dragstrip in the town where I live, (Harrisburg IL) and we need some help.
Accelaquarter Raceway Park was abandoned back in the 80's and has been brought back to life this year. It is a non-profit organization, registered in the state of Illinois, and all of us that work there volunteer our time. We are affiliated with the Cars for Kids charity, and all proceeds benefit that charity. We had a great inaugral year, with new faces coming each time, and everyone enjoying themselves.
Here's the deal:
We are in need of some things to make our facility better.
More speakers, anytime you hear of an old building coming down or if you see a speaker not in use grab it! we will be putting up all we can get.
P.A. system....
Mercury lights....we will put in new bulbs but we need the fixures first.
An old rollback type wrecker...will not be registered for road use, strictly for pulling broken cars off the track.
Tools, both air and hand....we have a shed in which we have a compressor and some tools for racers to use in the event of a breakdown.
Absolutely anything else you can think of that relates to or would be useful in the operation of a dragstrip.
Anybody that has any of these things, or knows anybody that does please let me know. We have a limited amount of funds available to purchase items, but we really need them donated. I realize times are hard all over, and people don't have much to spare, but any little thing you don't have use for will help. Any donations to us are a tax write-off, as we are a registered non-profit.
Link to our website here
If any of you are local, or plan on being in Southern Illinois next year I would love to have you come check it out. All Busa drag racing anyone?:poke:
If any of you have questions, or would like further information, shoot me a PM.
Thanks,
Jeremy

Hey thanks for sprucing up SoIL for me while I'm gone. Maybe on a visit to my fams, I will have to bring bike and run a couple... Plus I'll see what I can do with some farmer friends back there..
Posted via Mobile Device

Why don't you plan a Hayabusa.org fundraising drag event in the spring, with an entry fee to go to your track needs. I would consider coming over from Kansas City, and I bet you could get several members from the midwest to come. I think it would be a blast!:thumbsup: Our dealership just did the demolition for our expansion and remodel, and we had some speakers. I'll check to see if we still have them on Friday, If so, I'll get them to you.:thumbsup:

Why don't you plan a Hayabusa.org fundraising drag event in the spring, with an entry fee to go to your track needs. I would consider coming over from Kansas City, and I bet you could get several members from the midwest to come. I think it would be a blast!:thumbsup: Our dealership just did the demolition for our expansion and remodel, and we had some speakers. I'll check to see if we still have them on Friday, If so, I'll get them to you.:thumbsup:

awesome idea...

how much of the tools were left behind? scrapers, blowers, mops etc? or you guys starting from ground zero?

if you were closer I would give you some time.. (I have my ticket to do Tech from NHRA)

I will be organizing an all bike event this spring, will be posting up details as soon as the dates are finalized.
I would absolutely LOVE to host an event for the .org, there are some nice twisty and scenic roads around Southern Illinois also for people who like that kind of thing...
Thanks for checking on the speakers!

awesome idea...

how much of the tools were left behind? scrapers, blowers, mops etc? or you guys starting from ground zero?

if you were closer I would give you some time.. (I have my ticket to do Tech from NHRA)
We started from ground zero. We have accumulated some mops and a scraper. We are using leaf blowers for debris removal. Trying to figure out a way to make a track dryer, got any ideas?
Any pointers you can offer will help.

We started from ground zero. We have accumulated some mops and a scraper. We are using leaf blowers for debris removal. Trying to figure out a way to make a track dryer, got any ideas?
Any pointers you can offer will help.

the lowest budget unit I have seen is a PTO driven unit that mounts like a gannon box on a tractor..

for a blower, see if you can find some of the "wheeled" units.. they have I think 8-12 hp motors and do a nice job in pairs..

Depending on how good the surface is in the pits, you could end up with a lot of garbage pulled on to the staging lanes and subsequently on to the burnout box and track.. wheel mount blowers at least allow track workers to blow down the staging lanes before the night starts and then the burnout box/starting line area quickly during breaks and between classes..

Then the "pissing" match starts as to "who" gets to run the lights.. :laugh:

Pits surface is asphalt millings, and we are next to a cornfield. You can imagine how much junk we get on the track!
Me and another guy share light running duties, it's a blast.....
Will certainly look into what you suggested.

you can build your own flame thrower but the big weed burner ones work pretty good...

be nice to find a tractor too (so you can drag the track)..

Sounds like Bogus know's what he's talking about...
:laugh: now if I could just hear too.... Shockly's truck did a number on us at this race... here is a track dryer for you.. :rofl: the fire show was mucho grande... (burned down the back stop and torched the power lines over the top of the burnout area..

Photograph1.jpg

Same truck, diff paint scheme..

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a propane weed burner, and drag the track with old slicks behind a 4wheeler. Kinda ghetto fabulous, but it works. We are putting in a concrete launch pad in the spring, but our track record is a 5.22, and we had a drag radial car go 5.48, so it hooks pretty good for straight asphalt....

5.22? whew, nothing bad about that... how long is the shutdown area?

Back