Need Help!! Think I did something wrong!

Cerberus

Donating Member
Registered
Hi all, I had a new tire mounted this morning on my front wheel. I have mounted the wheel back on but it doesn't look right to me. It looks like I screwed up when installing the axle :banghead:. I think I have too much space between the wheel and the forks. I snaped a couple of picts, does this look right??

Thanks!!

HPIM1129.jpg

HPIM1133.jpg

HPIM1132.jpg

what you need to check is the outside edge of the axle flats to the outside of the forks.. that inner area space is normal.. I will get you some shots..

Nope, not right. Did you tighten it down enough, or did you forget to put the spacer thing back in?

Excuse the dirt, has not been cleaned since I got back from Bash :)

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

unless you had the bearings out, I do not recall any spacer... the wheel pushes up between the forks, the axle goes through and you torque to around 72ft pounds... for the life of me I can not remember any outside spacers...

Nope, not right. Did you tighten it down enough, or did you forget to put the spacer thing back in?

I tighten it down enough as far as I can tell, I even had to back it off slightly to toqure it to the 72.5 and not at the 120 ftlb that is was. As far as the spacer thing, I guess I missed it, I never saw what looks like a spacer when I took it off.

I figured I did something wrong when I saw the space between the wheel and the fork. This was my first time taking off the front so I just figured I would screw something up ??? .

Mr Biscuit, thanks for the pict. I guess I got it right since it appears to look like yours. The axel is flush with the outside of the forks.

I guess I just don't trust my own work :banghead:.

where did you see the 120ft lbs? when you took it apart?

btw, NEVER use your torque wrench to "loosen" bolts.. it will destroy it (your torque wrench) and you will not get an accurate torque reading anyway...

"break away" torque is different than what the bolt was tightened to in the first place..

where did you see the 120ft lbs? when you took it apart?

(btw, NEVER use your torque wrench to "loosen" bolts.. it will destroy it and you will not get an accurate torque reading anyway...

"break away" torque is different than what the bolt was tightened to in the first place..

Thinking I screwed up, I used to torque wrench to see to see how high it was when trying to tighten it. When I still got a click trying to tighten it at 120, I figured I need to back it off, and then just tighten it to the spec of 72.

Last edited:
You better trust your own work especially at high speeds. :beerchug:

r8

You are right!!! That is why I figured I would ask the experts here :).

Since working on my own bike is new to me, I rely on the info that I find here and so far, it has gotten me through alot of the basic stuff with out problems.

Thanks again !!!

Yes, we do it all here from appliance repairs, booking airline tickets, family issues, share Holidays, Birthdays and fix bikes.

Hit the :easy: button.

r8

Any suggestions on what to check for during the test ride to ensure everything is ok??

Other then the wheel falling off of course :laugh:.

Well, started on a short 20 min ride, turned to several hours, was a beautiful day yesterday and just didn't want to go home. The front wheel didn't fall off and it road fine.

Runeight, I had it off the front stand when I tightened them, that would be about as compressed as I could get 'em.

I must of done it right!! :)

Back