Need help on cam chain replacement

solldav

Registered
I'm replacing my cam chain, and run into a bit of an obstacle. I need to remove the allen screw going into the side of the head to pull the chain out. Anybody have any luck doing this without having to pull the motor? I think I can get the screw out, but don't know if it will clear the frame, and if it doesn't, is there enough room to get the chain in? 2006 model.

I am sure it can be done. I pulled the motor when I did some work like that. You may be able to take out the engine mount bolts and let the engine lower some(on a jack)? You would need to remove your exahust so it is not in the way also.

Here is one person who did it with it in. https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/maintenance-do-yourself/107165-timing-chain-removal.html

Maybe someone who has done it with the engine still in will be along soon.

Be careful with the cam holders

I'm going to saw off an allen wrench, and try to remove or back off the head screw. It's pretty tight, but I'm hoping I can either remove it entirely, or back it off far enough for the chain to be removed. Anybody know if this will work. Just trying to save a lot of extra work.

Got it done without removing the motor. All it took was some rouded allen wrenches to remove the head screw. It doesn't come out entirely as it hits the frame, but you can get the chain in and out, but from the top side only. Saved me many hours of work.

Back