Cam chain stretching?

Sean298

Registered
My 2002 Hayabusa has about 53k on it so far, I've been in the motor a little bit to have the second gear undercut and some other thingies. When I set the timing I've been off by a tooth both times I've set it. The cam chain seems to be stretched, is this even a thing? I know on cars, at least, most cars, a chain means basically zero maintenance. But see this picture, I'm debating on whether its a worthwhile endeavor to replace the cam chain at some point here soon. The cams are about half a link off from being where they should be when the crank is where it is supposed to be, (notch at the notch in the service cover)

fa4e61d633802ca3f82b066055a9e726.jpg

Not a bad idea to replace. Yes they stretch. I've seen cam chains break from 5k miles and up. At 53k I'd say you are due.

I'm looking at doing this job pretty soon here, I intend to use the Vance & Hines HD cam chain, and a new OEM hydraulic adjuster. Aside from that I know there are numerous guides I could replace, any input on that? Which ones I should be replacing at the time of replacing the chain?

I won't be blowing apart the entire motor to do this, just tipping it forward in the chassis and go from there.

Thanks guys!

Back