mystery sludge

him

"THE HAYABUSA STUNT GUY"
Donating Member
Registered
Ok background bout my 2001 busa used with 2900 miles. Oiled the chain and couple days later noticed some kind of black sludge. Its thick and gooy. It's on my chain and my swingarm, its also on the frame of my bike like. Looks like its being thrown off the chain. Should i get a new chain and spocket? What else should i change?

typical sludge seen after spraying a chain, it collects dust and dirt then throws it onto the bike, including the frame and swingarm, and also on to the rim. in my opinion the only time you get a new chain is when you notice the chain has stretch or you are replacing a sprocket. Anytime you replace a sprocket you should replace both sprockets and chain at the same time. If not you are wasting your time, if you put on a new chain with the old sprockets the chain will wear faster, and the same thing if you change a sprocket and not the other sprocket and chain.

Thanks was kinda worried. Probably end up changing sprokets and chains next season. Read bout some light weight chains and sprokets was gonna try them out

Lightwieght Chains and Sprockets? Busa? Bad Idea... Gunk prolly indicates chain needs a good cleaning..

Spray it real good with WD40 and clean it with a rag. I then spray it off with compressed air. Then I lube it with PJ1 Blue Label. Every 200 miles or so.

Gunk prolly indicates chain needs a good cleaning..
and how should i administer this cleaning?
Well, there is two ways that I know of, One involves Kerosene and a brush, The other Involves WD-40 and a Rag.

Kerosene Method

The kerosene method really is the "recommended" method and if you check your owners manual you'll see it outlined there as well.

However, I just use WD-40 on a hot chain. I put the rear up on the pit stand, Then With a rag to catch all the over spray I basically hose down the chain as I rotate the tire, spraying from the inside out, down through the links. Once I get one full revolution done, I simple grab another towel and rub the drip and crud off the chain. Once it's all clean and sparkley, I hit it again, from the inside, with a little bit of PJ-1 or Bel-Ray spray lube, just a little bit... Seems to be good stuff...

Read here about lubes and oils for the chain...Web-bike world

Spray it real good with WD40 and clean it with a rag.  I then spray it off with compressed air.  Then I lube it with PJ1 Blue Label.  Every 200 miles or so.
Yeah, What the Wall Said.. He he...
smile.gif

They all covered the topic well. Remember clean after every ride for long life of the chain and sprokets.

hey man the mystery sludge is back. I cleaned the chain with some PB and wiped it down with a rag. Then i lubbed it with some PJ. Then i ran it on the rear stand to make sure the sludge wasnt present... it wasnt. So i go for a ride, get to where im going and dammit i got mystery sludge all over my newly polshed frame. Should I just get a new chan and sprocket?

him,

Don't waste your money on New Sprockets and Chain. After lubing / oiling a chain, oil will seep down the swingarm a bit. Specifically, along the black plastic protector on top of the swingarm.

I use a chain wax, and it will run a bit on the top of the swingarm.

You probabally have a buid up of gunk under the front sprocket cover. When it get hot it turns to liquid and runs down the frame.

Undo the sprocket cover and clean it out real good with somw WD40.

Save your money.

Stealth

Dude sounds like normal road grime to me... I know what kind of black sludge your talking about and about the only way around it is to NOT put any grease on your chain at all. Just use some WD-40, clean the chain and leave it.

But unless your talking massive quantities of sludge your just throwing money away. Hell, didn't you ever see this build up on your other bikes??? Just grab a rag and wipe your parts down. If you apply lube you are going to get some sling-off goo... Just deal with or buy a Shaft Drive bike.
laugh.gif

Buying new parts will not solve your problem...

Front sprocket seal bad from running chain too tight.......??
How do i check this. the chain is really tight. Not to sound like an idiot or anything but when i remove this sprocket cover what kinds of things are waiting for me ie oil spilliage.

Also rev me and the katana were worry free and i really didnt go as fast. But it is slinging a lot of sludge and somethims it gets in that crack between my jeans and boots and talk about some hot crap whoooo. So just spray wd40 and leave it

Back