Hey Tell Me Whats Wrong Cause I Didnt Look Thread

MOCKIN U

Registered
Sorry,

Had to create a title that would get your attention but for real. I parked the bike last night and went to lube and clean the chain and saw that the chain had been digging into my newly powdercoated white frame. Looks like it is tracking in the front just off the chain guide to the left far enough that the slack is hitting the frame ever so slightly. I am at work at cant get out to her to break it down and see whats happening as I don't have a garage now so its going to happen in storage.

Is it possible that the front sprocket is loose and has allowed the chain to track off in the front? It looked last night that the rear was square and moving like should and the problem was really in the front. It looked severly over to the left toward the frame as its coming onto the chain guide in the front.

Was a weird one for sure.

If the chain has the proper tension and the rear wheel alignment is correct, it sounds like either the front sprocket has come loose or the shaft that it is mounted to is bent. Your bearings could be out in your swing arm also.

extended aftermarket swingarm that is stretched about 8 inches. The bearings are all new on the inside of the swingarm in the front. I can check the spacing on each side when home.

Here we go. I was in the process of a well needed clean and soak when saw the contact soot and started looking in there then had to get back home. Hate not having that garage as my work space.

20141012_184714.jpg

20141012_184722.jpg

20141012_184739.jpg

20141012_184925.jpg

Where did the arm come from ? Who made it?
Look at your rear wheel in relation to where it sits with the tail light.
Does it look center? Or is the wheel off to one side?

The arm was made by a smaller company. The rear tire is centered to the tail light. The issue starts in front for sure. It shows best in person. I am off tuesday and can get that cover off. Its been fine since July....just recently noticed this issue. Even in mock up was tracking true.

Really hoping its sprocket. If its input shaft it just pushes me further into motivation for motor build this winter

1399593040442.jpg

IMG_20140603_131830.jpg

just a thought, maybe loose chain (hopefully) if you put it on in july or so, and it's startin now maybe the chain stretched a bit, 8in stretch wow, how many links is that?

Reason why I ask I had a guy bring an arm to me for an install on his bike. Looked a lot like the arm you have. He bought it off eBay. Was made by a small place selling "new " arms that they made.
Well the arm was so far off the rear wheel was literally 1 1/2 inches to the left. I refused to finish putting it on.
He sent it back and got a chromolly from a reputable place and all was good.

Is the front sprocket stock?

If so, I haven't heard of one becoming loose if never touched.

OK I just remembered that you are stretched so you changed the chain for sure,
and probably the sprockets too.

What kind of riding do you do? Easy cruising or WOT ?

Be sure to take pictures once you open the cover.
Look for metal shavings-if found shaft might be bent.

Good luck.

Well, looking at the condition of the chain, I would have to say its an maintenance/adjustment issue. All new chains stretch and if you are not looking at it every 600 miles then this is what you get.

extended aftermarket swingarm that is stretched about 8 inches. The bearings are all new on the inside of the swingarm in the front. I can check the spacing on each side when home.

That's a lot of additional gap that a chain needs to follow....

Back