Myrtle Beach

Hbusa

Registered
So as much as the City of Myrtle Beach is detering bikers from coming to town this weekend, is anyone making the trip? Personally, the fact that the ralleys are cancelled makes the trip more attractive to me.

I've been there during bike week in the past, but who wants to go somewhere when they dont want you to be there? Setting yourself up for harrassment and trouble. Plenty of other places want my money.

Been to Bike Week in the past, but will never go again...I will miss my favorite bar- Suck, Bang, Blow

Myrtle beach is having some serious second thoughts over the Mayors actions.. they are down some 25% on tourism $$ and people are not happy... gee you think bike riders money had anything to do with this? They can suck tailpipe....

Our city hosts the GW riders rally every year with some 15,000 Goldwings showing up.. is amazing to watch..

Myrtle beach is having some serious second thoughts over the Mayors actions.. they are down some 25% on tourism $$ and people are not happy... gee you think bike riders money had anything to do with this? They can suck tailpipe....

Our city hosts the GW riders rally every year with some 15,000 Goldwings showing up.. is amazing to watch..

I can understand their point, but that loss of income can make you change your mind.

I can understand their point, but that loss of income can make you change your mind.
I can see their point (and I would bet a big part of the problem is by a pretty small percent of the bike owners)..

I think the "look at me" crowd with the loud pipes cause more damage than anything else.. but 3 weeks of inconvenience for an event that draws in millions in income? sort of like "cutting off your nose to spite your face" ? :laugh:

We are in an economy that begs for an event like this and they are chasing off vendors and customers like they are a nuisance... what a charmed life those people must have...

We are in an economy that begs for an event like this and they are chasing off vendors and customers like they are a nuisance... what a charmed life those people must have...

I'm not a huge fan of bike week, but I couldn't agree more with the above statement. I'm in hotel sales and what the city has failed to realize is that it will be the housekeepers, servers, and bartenders that will feel the most impact this weekend. There are cities that would beg for an event like this.

I heard they are writing tickets left and right already, I've been every year for the last 3 years, but wont make this one, not worth it.

One of the guys I was riding with yesterday said the hotels are way empty and the business owners are very upset. We knew there was going to be a very low turn-out they must have known it to why were they not upset before?

I can see their point (and I would bet a big part of the problem is by a pretty small percent of the bike owners)..

I think the "look at me" crowd with the loud pipes cause more damage than anything else.. but 3 weeks of inconvenience for an event that draws in millions in income? sort of like "cutting off your nose to spite your face" ? :laugh:

Always with the pipe envy :laugh: You've never been. There's a lot more to it than loud pipes. Bikers have a good time...

Always with the pipe envy :laugh: You've never been. There's a lot more to it than loud pipes. Bikers have a good time...

I have to agree here......... As the recent turn to these short stubby pipes on sport bikes are every bit as obnoxious as the Ahrley Crowd.........and it holds true for Sportbike riders true..........the louder the exhaust, the more they feel the need to rev the hell out of it.

I think its an opportunity for other cities to pick up where Myrtle left off. I wish Atlanta would host a bike bash of that stature.

I think its an opportunity for other cities to pick up where Myrtle left off. I wish Atlanta would host a bike bash of that stature.

kainedogg, wasn't that called FREAKNICK in Atlanta,GA . Just kidding , I saw the numbers that show up just a few weeks ago in Conyers,GA at Mountain powersports. over 4 thousand show up plus myself.
I am game for a bike week in Atlanta, Hell yes. I am so there.

Just got back from Myrtle. Didn't take my baby but there were alot of Hayabusa down there. They had some rallies but the mayor had issued a helmet law within the city limits to try and deter some from coming. There were alot. I had a blast but don't really know it would have been on my bike. The Cops were out in packs and actually seen alot in speed traps setup behind a motorcycle trailer trying to catch people speeding.

kainedogg, wasn't that called FREAKNICK in Atlanta,GA . Just kidding , I saw the numbers that show up just a few weeks ago in Conyers,GA at Mountain powersports. over 4 thousand show up plus myself.
I am game for a bike week in Atlanta, Hell yes. I am so there.

Lol. I miss the Freak's man...dam it. I missed that thing at Mountain Adventure, wish I could have won that GSXR-1000.

I guess all the years of nitro racing has left me jaded.., all the other "loud" pipes are just a joke.. standing there when 8000 hp blows by you doing a burnout and it takes your breath away, a motorcycle pipe sounds like a kid on a slide whistle :rofl: (time and a place for everything :) )

But I guess I don't understand your post..

I never said the guys were not fun or anything to that effect... what I was eluding too is that a small number of guys with loud pipes piss off the locals..

One guys music is another's noise an they are the ones that live there..

If some guy came rolling down your street 30 or 500 times during the day with a loud bike and you had kids? you might forget just how much fun the bike riders are or how much money they put into your economy as your 3 year old screams bloody murder at 11PM ...

I learned something very, very true many years ago and it's easily sumed up in four short but powerfull words.

It's all about money.

Back