My Story

greg3852

Registered
OK, you all know my story. Started with a stock 2004 Busa that quickly became too slow for me. Decided to build a 1397. Built it, had head gasket issues. Tore it apart again, added studs, put it all back together. Rode incredible. Went to get it tuned and had an oil line loosen up on the ride home. Bike is now gone.

So what's next? I think it was C10 who stated I may be better off getting a stock bike that has the speed I want and be reliable. Well thats what I plan on doing.

Over the winter I will be doing two things. I will be going to the dark side and buying a 2012-2014 ZX14R. Those years are within my price range. I'll be looking for one with a 4-2-1 exhaust and other than that mostly stock. I will do a lot of lightening on it, but that is it. I have zero plans to add any go faster parts to it. Why not? I simply can't take the stress. I need reliability as I often do 500 mile days. I enjoy that and I want the bike to get home. I've also spent about 3 yrs now waiting to finish this 1397 correctly only to have a stupid thing happen and set me back to square one. I don't need that stress. lol A 2012 ZX14R should put out over 200hp to the wheel which is more than my 1397. If I lighten it, I know it won't move out like my 1397 due to weight, but it should be relatively close. I'm looking to get one in this blue color or white.

00z0z_iqVB7Y34cuy_600x450.jpg

Also I will be attempting to buy back my father's 1987 Electra Glide. I know where it is, and will attempt to get hold of the owner. I currently own 2 of my fathers old bikes, and would love to find the final remaining two. I have no idea where his 1985 Sportster is. But I will deal with that later. I really liked the Electra Glide. I was planning on buying an Ultra Classic over the winter, but I really think I'd rather have his old bike. He passed away in 2013 at the age of 65 due to cancer. If I can't get his bike, I will buy a similar one and make it look exactly the same. It was almost identical to this one for sale. And it was PURPLE too. So it'll have a little nod to the now deceased busa.

00i0i_9hdFc4dCZXi_600x450.jpg

In the middle of all this, I am working on the house. I have to tear apart some rooms I built a few years ago in the garage and turn it back into a garage complete with garage door. Already took out the electric, just need to tear down the walls and put on the door.

I'm still here and plan on staying as this place is unlike anywhere else I've ever been. I'll just be commenting while riding a superior and faster bike....oooooooh I'm already talking smack.....jk

You will not be disappointed in a 14r. They are awesome bikes, every bit as good all around as a Busa, better in some areas. Their Achilles heel is that the diversity in aftermarket support simply isn't there like it is for ours. Since you don't plan on major mods, it shouldn't be an issue. Enjoy.
I hope you're able to get your dad's bike back.

;) it was me who mentioned ZX14R just plan your valve adjustments in the winter down time, and you will be ok. Try to find one low miles / old man owned . They are out there . Remember Mamma Kaw has some killer deals on the ZX14R left overs @ 10K otd in many places with very low interest. 4 k more for a new bike with warranty is a good deal . Also some are the limited model with Brembo brakes :)

OK, you all know my story. Started with a stock 2004 Busa that quickly became too slow for me. Decided to build a 1397. Built it, had head gasket issues. Tore it apart again, added studs, put it all back together. Rode incredible. Went to get it tuned and had an oil line loosen up on the ride home. Bike is now gone.

So what's next? I think it was C10 who stated I may be better off getting a stock bike that has the speed I want and be reliable. Well thats what I plan on doing.

Over the winter I will be doing two things. I will be going to the dark side and buying a 2012-2014 ZX14R. Those years are within my price range. I'll be looking for one with a 4-2-1 exhaust and other than that mostly stock. I will do a lot of lightening on it, but that is it. I have zero plans to add any go faster parts to it. Why not? I simply can't take the stress. I need reliability as I often do 500 mile days. I enjoy that and I want the bike to get home. I've also spent about 3 yrs now waiting to finish this 1397 correctly only to have a stupid thing happen and set me back to square one. I don't need that stress. lol A 2012 ZX14R should put out over 200hp to the wheel which is more than my 1397. If I lighten it, I know it won't move out like my 1397 due to weight, but it should be relatively close. I'm looking to get one in this blue color or white.

View attachment 1602439

Also I will be attempting to buy back my father's 1987 Electra Glide. I know where it is, and will attempt to get hold of the owner. I currently own 2 of my fathers old bikes, and would love to find the final remaining two. I have no idea where his 1985 Sportster is. But I will deal with that later. I really liked the Electra Glide. I was planning on buying an Ultra Classic over the winter, but I really think I'd rather have his old bike. He passed away in 2013 at the age of 65 due to cancer. If I can't get his bike, I will buy a similar one and make it look exactly the same. It was almost identical to this one for sale. And it was PURPLE too. So it'll have a little nod to the now deceased busa.

View attachment 1602438

In the middle of all this, I am working on the house. I have to tear apart some rooms I built a few years ago in the garage and turn it back into a garage complete with garage door. Already took out the electric, just need to tear down the walls and put on the door.

I'm still here and plan on staying as this place is unlike anywhere else I've ever been. I'll just be commenting while riding a superior and faster bike....oooooooh I'm already talking smack.....jk
I thought for sure u were gonna go turbo bike shopping...…. still an option ya know, just have it checked out BEFORE u buy it.

I had an 18 ZX14r but liked the Busa better for some reason and sold it.
If I did go to anything besides my Busa that is out now it would be the 2019 H2 SX SE. They are expensive though. I would have to ride one too.

I am hanging on to both Busa's until I see if 2020 brings a GEN3 or not.

Just an idea, talk with the owner of that Harley and see if you can buy him a comparable replacement. Maybe with that, the sentimental value of his bike for you will be enough for him to do a trade of sorts.

View attachment 1602439

View attachment 1602438

Those are nice bikes! I went to a Suzuki demo ride and testo rode it once! Hope you can find a well cared for one and enjoy it! :thumbsup:

I think you should just get a gen 2 tune it with exhaust and go up a cpl teeth in the rear, that way you get to stay with the busa and you'll get close enough to what your looking for especially if you take some titanium points from @c10

I thought about getting a gen 2, but I want a change. I want a 1441 from the factory. Factory ported head. I'm not brand loyal in anyway shape or form. I've had Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Harley, and soon to be Kawasaki. I'm just looking for reliable speed. I enjoy driving 180mph and just cruising at that speed.

I thought about getting a gen 2, but I want a change. I want a 1441 from the factory. Factory ported head. I'm not brand loyal in anyway shape or form. I've had Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Harley, and soon to be Kawasaki. I'm just looking for reliable speed. I enjoy driving 180mph and just cruising at that speed.
HI. Do some checking around to see if they fixed the #3 rod bearing problem. That is what happened to me it put that rod through the cases at 190MPH and I had the after market fix. It was a 1300 kit ZX11

Back