My monster multicopter with brushless gimbal!

Do you have any video or any kind of screen capture of the flight data video feed? What kind of frame rate / resolution can you get for the stream?

Do you have any video or any kind of screen capture of the flight data video feed? What kind of frame rate / resolution can you get for the stream?

It's over the air analog, so all you get is VGA.

The goggles I use (Fatshark Attitude) has a video out, and if your camera has mics on it, you can also plug in earplugs to get stereo audio.

This guy has some video being recorded (to give you an idea), but it looks like he isn't running a video tx or antennas as nice as mine, so the footage is crappier than what I see (in both detail and quality).

Even though the video wasn't the greatest quality, its still pretty cool. Is the data being displayed on the OSD GPS data?

Yes. GPS is used for many OSD.

The copter itself has GPS for positioning and position hold.

What would make it perfect would be to have a pair of cameras on the multicopter feeding back to a stereo video signal to the headset so that you would get depth perception as you remotely control it. Maybe they already have something like that?

What would make it perfect would be to have a pair of cameras on the multicopter feeding back to a stereo video signal to the headset so that you would get depth perception as you remotely control it. Maybe they already have something like that?

It's been done, but frankly, I'd be more worried about a headache inducing crapfest occuring..

Google something called "oculus rift", it's not yet released to the public, but I've seen a video of someone mounting it on a flying RC vehicle with good results.

I am IMPRESSED as well as fascinated with your expertise. I could spend a lot of time at the controls of that puppy. That is, if I could learn how to control it without a dozen crashes:thumbsup:

You're in luck, the smaller quads have the same flight controls as the larger stuff. So you can drop $50-80 on a small one, practice, and if you like it, work your way up to something larger.

This is the one I typically recommend. It comes with everything you need. In fact, it's likely a bit harder to fly than the larger stuff because the radio is stiff, lacks adjustments, and the smaller size means it's more difficult to see orientation. So it's easy to over compensate.

There's a few others out there that should be good, but the Ladybird is the only one of the micros that I've used and practiced on.

Damn mysql, you're pretty serious on these copters.

Have you done any direct payload to flight time measurements to see where the best compromise of surplus payload to battery storage capacity is?

Went tree racing today with one of my small quads. It isn't tuned for all the wind, and the keychain camera is low quality and vibrating on the frame (causing jello), but you should get the idea...

oxe0FNq.jpg

I decided to mount a camera upside down under the rear left arm of the FLIP FPV...

video came out shaky, but it's an interesting view point. Also first time doing flips and rolls in FPV.

Well, I couldn't stand it any longer!! I am starting a multi-copter build of my own.

I don't want to hijack this thread but I do want to take the opportunity to publically thank 'mysql' for the tireless support he has provided me in answering my hundreds of questions through PMs, allowing me to get an excellerated education on multi-copter components, requirements, etc. He has freely given of his wealth of knowledge. (He should write a book!).

Per his recommendation, I purchased and have been flying a mini quad-copter for a few weeks now. During that time, my carbon fiber Octo-copter frame arrived. I have been deciding on which components to use in this build and have finally made a decision (again thanks to 'mysql' for his guidance) so I will begin ordering them this weekend.

Here is the picture of the carbon fiber frame components - not yet assembled. I will be taking pictures/videos all along and at some point, after I finish the build and shooting some flight videos, I will open a separate thread in case anyone is interested.

Un hijacking now :laugh:

20140122_163255.jpg

Well, it's been almost 2 months and I've finally finished my build. It's a large Octocopter with a wingspan of about 50". I took it out back and gave it it's maiden flight. Of course, my luck, the camera shut off just as I was getting started... I probably left it on too long when I was getting set up and performing the compass calibration. So, unfortunately, the video is very short:

OctoFull.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you ever get your bike stuck in the woods, you can use the copter to pull yourself out =)

Back