My monster multicopter with brushless gimbal!

lol. It's just the gimbal. Not the entire octo. I used that photo for effect. The octo is as wide as a doorway, wouldn't really fit well with me on the bike.

lol. It's just the gimbal. Not the entire octo. I used that photo for effect. The octo is as wide as a doorway, wouldn't really fit well with me on the bike.

LOL I understand that. Would love to see how the gimbal is mounted. Ive never messed with them but I thing it would be killer on my track bike. Are they powered or what?

Sure, i'll try to snap some pics tonight. But I'm not sure why you guys want to see it -- it was a terrible mounting position!

This weekend I built my first X8 (octocopter [coaxial]).

HduooGsh.jpg

tqjzaikh.jpg

1ADtkMdh.jpg

FLIP FPV Octocopter (X8) Preview #1 - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Extending the arms on the x8 so it can run 12" propellers on all 8 motors... hope to get that done this week.

Dude...awesome stuff! :beerchug:

Next time I can justify some extra funds on even MORE toys, lol, I may need to get back into my RC.

I slowly worked my way up from quads, to hex, to octos.

The reason I went to octo was due to the fact that quad to hex had a substantial increase in stability and thrust. I expected similar gains from hex to octo. That didn't turn out... didn't get an appreciable increase in stability, and with more motors eating power, it had higher power draw over the hex.

X8 octo was nice for confined space, but it didn't work the way I expected. Redundancy comes at the cost of thrust. Counter rotating the top and bottom motors increases the thrust, but at the cost of redundancy. e.g; All bottom motors die, if they are setup to counter rotate, then the top one will blow over the lower one (counter rotating it) and that eats up most of the thrust. I end up needing 80% throttle to just hover.

So my options are huge octocopter (need at least 12" props) or a smaller hex. I found a pre-made hex kit (all carbon fiber) that only weighs 600g. AND it's foldable. It arrives tomorrow :D

Damn I love these things. I am afraid I will be spending money on this before too much longer....maybe. lol

you are one creative SOB! those videos are great and that contraption looks to be butter smooth to control. i would love to mess with that thing for a day.:thumbsup:

Back