My Jury Duty Experience - The Outcome!

Mrs.Rubber2Burn

The Diet Coke of Evil!!!
Donating Member
Registered
First, I want to give a GINORMOUS THANKS to all of my .Org family for the support you offered me while I was going through the very emotional trial as a juror. :bowdown:

Tonight I am feeling better than I did this past Thursday Night. Thursday Night I felt so many emotions it was a roller coaster ride.

I feel that I should back up and give the details before explaining the end. The case was Child Protective Services seeking to terminate the parental rights from a mother to her (4) children. There is a fifth child born last month, but that case will be tried separately as the child was born after this trial was already too far along.

The mother is 24 years old with five children, the four that we were tasked with determining severing the parental rights to was an absolute heartbreaking case. You cannot imagine the abuse, molestation, neglect, filth, and domestic violence the children endured. Of the five children, there were three fathers involved. All the fathers have severely beaten the mother many times in front of the kids as well as molested the children. The father’s lost their parental rights due ALL of them have CPS history of molestation of a child under the age of 12 by touch, and domestic battery. They were deported from Travis County Jail back to Mexico. The father of baby number five was only 16 years old at the time of conception.

What is so heartbreaking is that this mother was receiving more government benefits that I even knew existed! $1050.00 a month in section 8 housing payments (yes you read that correctly)! Food Stamps, WIC, TANF, CCMS, Medicaid, and some other forms of assistance, yet she and those children lived for months without electricity and running water. The toilets just piled up with human waste. The children had lice infestations for a year. To the point of scratching bloody infected sores in their scalps. The domestic violence was so bad that the police were called to the house 4 times in 3 months with the last occurrence due to the sister’s b/f stabbing her in front of the children. The police then again called CPS to get the kids once they saw the living conditions, roaches, filth, and lack of utilities. Every man this mother associated with beat her and when these men went to jail, she remained in contact. She even had a relationship with the man that fathered her sister’s children, who consequently were taken away by CPS; except baby#5 who died two hours after birth due to her cocaine addiction.

I could go on and on about how these poor children were abused, neglected, and but in harm’s way at every turn. The molestation that she allowed to go on was sick. Children between the ages of 5 and 7 should not know that their family “may fight a lot but they always have a lot of sexâ€. They should also not know what or how to perform oral sex (the new foster mother walked in on this). I was sickened and heartbroken that they had to learn this.

I could go and on with more details that would break your heart and turn your stomach. It has taken an emotional toll. In the end, I was picked as presiding juror and had to sign my name to the unanimous verdict of public record. I then had to read it out in court, which rocked me more than I thought it would. The mother’s parental rights to all four of these kids were terminated and the kids are free to be adopted. She still has to go through another trial as to her rights to the fifth baby born last month. That baby was also taken from the hospital. There is a somewhat happy ending because the 17 month old that was removed from mom straight from the hospital is being adopted by the couple who took him home from the hospital. The other three have a loving forever home lined up as well. I know that I voted in the best interest of the kids but as a mother I have that “what if someone did this to me feeling?†Although this mother did not seem to deserve the “gift†of children. She was a ninth grade drop out and did not know what a GED was. Also testified that she was going to get an IUD, but the D.A. called her out on that one and proved there was never any appointment, and that she had no idea what the different definitions of birth control really are. Very, Very, Sad. These children have all been diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and will need some serious help. I could go on and on, but I it is just not something to keep reliving.

Positive note: During lunch, I HAD TO GET out of the courthouse. I snapped some pictures of Austin to share.

img1233448887553.jpg

Statue Pic.jpg

at a loss for words... hope things at home take your mind off all this quickly...

she needs her tube tied and the men that molested the children should be shot.

Serving on a jury is a very great privilege and responsibility. Kudos to you for hanging in there!:bowdown: Many do their best (or worst) to avoid such a responsibility.

(((((HUGS)))) That is so heartbreaking. But trust me, don't EVER equate yourself to that female who happened to be able to give birth. She chose to stay in that situation and she chose not to make things better. Believe you me those children are soooo much better off where they are now. You and your fellow jurors, SAVED their lives.

Last edited:
This brought tears to my eyes. :( Very sad to hear that someone could do a child that way. Now, the h311 with deporting them back, they should have been tortured for hours at a time, for days, until they finally just died. Sorry i feel this way, but this kinda thing just P1sses me off really bad. We ( the USA )need to start making examples of this kind of trash. Sorry you , or anyone has to deal with this kind of trash.

You and the others did the right thing. It's always the children that suffer in situations like this. Standing up for the little one's who cannot do that and giving them a voice is of upmost importance. To many times I have called to residences and have seen just this sort of thing and it crushes me. You and the others have given these children a chance at a normal life, a loving home with hugs and kisses.
Sip

I am sorry that you had to witness this.

It's terrible. I have heard it said that people sometimes act like animals. I hate to say it, but animals don't treat members of their own, nor other animals, in the manner in which humans treat one another. It's sick to say the least.

I hope that justice was served to the fullest.

It's unfortunate that children have to suffer so long that they become damaged to the point that they'll likely end up spending the rest of their childhood in the foster care system, as most good families looking to adopt are not willing to spend years trying to undue the damage caused by our "Parents are always right" society.

Wow, just gut-wrenching...as I read this, all I could remind myself was that these children have better lives ahead of them now...it'll be tough and take a lot of love and work and counseling, but their fate was sealed had they slipped through the cracks as so many seem to...

I can't imagine what that's been like as a juror; thankful it's over for all involved.

Years back, when our department was in an old bldg ajoined to our old courthouse, we were visited one day by police dogs and officers unexpectedly. They combed our bldg and essentially put us on lock down because they were parading in a younger gentleman that was on trial for child molestation. It was a very heated case, details were horrid, and security was tight because of just how terrible his crimes were, how many likely wanted to take the law in to their own hands. I recall all of us at work, looking out the windows of our bldg and watching this guy in an orange jump suit and shackles walking by...it was truly sickening and I recall thinking "what if I had to be on that jury"...

I guess the only thing that can ground you while you're doing your civic duty in a sad and heartbreaking case like that is that those kids suffered more than any children should; more than most of us understand. Big picture is that they lived the worst part of this, and you were there to help them move on...

Thank you for your strength to do the right thing and see it thru. As a parent who loves my daughter more than I can express, that is a sick thing. I was gonna say meth until you said coke. This would be a case where forced sterilzation would be acceptable. Otherwise, lock her little ass up for so long she can't have kids anymore. And I wouldn't lose one second of sleep flipping the switch on the 'sperm donors' (don't honor them with the term 'father'). I would have a hard time not leaping out of my seat and smacking the crap out of that woman (but of course, it appears that has already been done). Disgusting.

Bless you Mrs R2B, you did great and I as well am sick to have read and imagine the acts they seen and was forced to do. I hope I never experience 1st hand any child in this situation.... I would fix it immediately in my own way and god forgive me. Again, bless you and you did a life saving thing for these children!!! :beerchug:

she needs her tube tied and the men that molested the children should be shot.

I see this more than you would imagine and worse. I don't know about Mexico but child molesters don't last long in the states, if imprisoned. And just think, the poor bastards might have to be placed on the internet the rest of their lives.

Kristin I am truly sorry you have been exposed to this, "side of society." Hug Ian a little tighter tonight & appreciate the loving environment that you & Adam raise him in. The judgement you & your fellow jurors rendered can not compare to the higher power she will eventually answer to for her actions.

You made the right decision, she's no Mother, she's just a woman having kids. A real Mother would never allow her children to endure such conditions. You and the rest of your jurors should be commended.

Last edited:
You did the right thing. The mother may be a victim of childhood abuse also but the cycle must be stopped.

Thank you for helping those children. It was a very courageous thing to do, especially being the one to announce the verdict.

:bowdown:

Back