My HID before and after pics

It is rather interesting, the difference in 'scatter'.  Are the bulbs the same dimensions?  Not quite clear how the HID scatters differently, unless it's just the fact that there is so much more light that is just not there in the old one...that's my theory anyway....dimmer bulb it just doesn't show up.  I mean if the only difference is a bulb, then that's what it has to be.  Now I realize that true HID lenses are designed to control this better.

Edit: Looking closer at the pics, the only way the HID would put light where the halogen doesn't if it hits different parts of the reflector, so the bulbs must have different lengths or the bright spot is in a different place than OEM.

I had to aim my light down a little on my 03, and haven't had any problems with other drivers.

It is rather interesting, the difference in 'scatter'.  Are the bulbs the same dimensions?  Not quite clear how the HID scatters differently, unless it's just the fact that there is so much more light that is just not there in the old one...that's my theory anyway....dimmer bulb it just doesn't show up.  I mean if the only difference is a bulb, then that's what it has to be.  Now I realize that true HID lenses are designed to control this better.

I had to aim my light down a little on my 03, and haven't had any problems with other drivers.
Most Halogen bulbs has the end/tip of the bulb shielded, either with a black carbon coating and in some occasions blue or silver.

4772373_s.jpg

120421_faa9025e.jpg

The typical HID has none of that.

H7hid.jpg

it would be interesting if you could coat the tip and see if there is a difference. But I suppose that could be a pricey experiment.

I looked and the tip of the HID bulb is NOT coated and it is also a lot thinner and maybe longer too. I would have to measure to be sure. It may sit in the housing different too. I will unmount it and move it in and out slightly to see if that changes the focus of the light.

Don I ordered a set for mine today after seeing the difference in your photos.

Warchild made a good call on the light scatter, I didn't notice it until he marked the line on the pics.

also make sure its sitting flush. when i installed my low beam hid bulb it wasn't sitting flush so i had to use the plastic piece from the stock bulb so that the springing latch thing would put pressure on the bulb itself.

Warchild made a good call on the light scatter, I didn't notice it until he marked the line on the pics.
Well, I have a right fair bit of experience converting halogen headlights to HID, been doing this for 9 years now. Some conversions are exceptional (CBR1100XX, FJR1300, YZF-R1), yet others are somewhat marginal or otherwise problematic (ST1100, CBR1000F, 'Busa).

When a HID conversion doesn't quite have the dramatic improvement hoped for, the primary culprit is the reflector housing design. Two examples are the high-beam for the FJR1300 and the Hayabusa. When these housings have halogen bulbs, the high beam is quite good. But when I inserted a HID kit in the K8's high beam, the light just goes everywehere. It is all over the place. In fact, the beamcast is so dispersed, I elected to go back to halogen for the high beam only.

My K8's low-beam is HID, and it is considerably better than stock halogen, but the overall "improvement" isn't quite as dramatic as the improvement on the low beam of other's I have done, such as the Blackbird and the R1 (these three - K8, Xx and R1 - all use the H7 for low beam).

The single most critical factor in these conversions is to maintain the exact, same "focal point" as stock halogen. This is done by the positioning of the filament... the HID capsule must EXACTLY match the halogen bulb. (semantics: the HID bulb doesn't have a "filament" per say; it has a salt chamber that ignites when 23,000 volts is applied to it).

Bottom line: the *position* of the two filaments must be exactly the same, or the beamcast will be piss-poor, at best. And sometimes, even when the filaments do line up perfectly, if the design of the reflector housing is truly halogen-specific (as the K8's high beam housing appears to be), you still won't enjoy the massive improvements normally associated with HID technology. It'll be brighter, sure. But as far as putting maximum usable lumens on the roadway exactly where you need them, not all reflector housing are created equal.

Below is an example of what I am referring to by the filament positioning to achieve the correct focal point. The bottom bulb is the stock Philips H9 bulb out of my K8. The top HID capsule is H9-based and as the red line indicates, the two "filaments" line up exactly the same. This is as good as it gets, but sadly enough, the K8's high-beam projector lens/reflector design simply does not lend itself to meaningful HID conversions. Yes, you can do the conversion, and yes, it will be brighter than hell when you look at it. But to my eyes, it just doesn't have a massive improvement over stock as far as usable light on the roadway. So, I removed the H9-based HID bulb you see below and went back to the H9 halogen. I'll sell this bulb for $35 (delivered) to anyone who wants it. It is a 5000K H9-based HID bulb with maybe 10 hours on it.

H9_filamentComparo7.jpg

So War, have you ever experimented with positioning the bulb in and out of the Gen I, or Gen II housing to change the focal point? Are there any benefits to pulling the bulb back a little given that the filaments line up, this would be about the only adjustment a person could make. I just checked my HID bulb against my OEM one and the filaments do line up like in your pic. So I guess the only other thing to try is pulling the bulb back and seeing if that creates a better cut off.

Just curious.

I thought the same thing . that he had the bulb in the high beam first or the bike was on a stand . As high up as it was it looked like a Hi beam and would blind everyone . HIDs are great for the low beam function . I never tried the Hi beam ones due to everyones feedback.

So War, have you ever experimented with positioning the bulb in and out of the Gen I, or Gen II housing to change the focal point?
I have not done this on the K8.

I did experiment with moving the bulb around on the FJR1300 housing, and not surprisingly, the stock H4 position yielded the best beamcast.

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
I just checked my HID bulb against my OEM one and the filaments do line up like in your pic. So I guess the only other thing to try is pulling the bulb back and seeing if that creates a better cut off.[/quote]

The fact that the filaments line up perfectly indicates the base is a good replication of stock. I am guessing moving the bulb will not improve things, still, it would be interesting to see what your experiments come up with.

hids just looks cooler lol plus you can see alot better!! heres a pic on one in my 04 dont have a pic of mine in my 08 yet. and if anyone needs one a friend of mine has them for $125 for the low beam h7's and i think $200 on the high and low beam set

CIMG0283.jpg

Back