My good deed for the year...

razorshark

Registered
About a month ago, a bird decided to make a nest on a little ledge on the inside my front porch's overhang.  First thing I thought was great...going to have birdpoop everywhere.  Well about a week ago, I noticed a few heads popping out of the next and everytime I walked onto my front porch, that damn momma bird attacks me...just a little thing and never came too close but still it got pissed off.  On Friday, I decided to take a closer look but never touched the next...there were 5 babies in a nest that wasn't bigger than 3x3 inches.  I thought about moving several of them but figured to let nature takes its course...

...the next morning I went outside to check on them.  Only one was in the nest and it was dead, covered in ants.  Three more were on the ground, eight feet below the nest and they were dead too, again covered with ants.  So I start looking for the last one.  It was in my driveway and seemed to be in good health, although it had obviously fallen out or was pushed out.

So I removed the next from its current location because the mother wouldn't go near it and placed it in a tree in my front yard very securely, hoping the mother would help it.  She didn't, she just sat on the roof and stared at the nest.  Well this morning the mother was gone.  My wife and I went to the store to buy a small birdhouse and small bird feed and decided to help the poor thing.

After doing some research on what to feed it, mainly bread soaked in warm sugar water...Birdy seems to be doing great and is trying to walk.  We decide to put the remainer of the nest into a flat plastic bowl and put it by an open window in the house.  Supposed to feed it every hour if its it still hungry and allow it to walk as much as possible to build its strength.  I will buy a bigger indooe birdhouse soon and when its wings develop, hopefully release it back outside.

It might be futile, but I'm not really a sensitive person and this makes me feel pretty good.  I consider it my good deed for the year...

I will post updated pics as long as Birdy stays alive.

birdy1.jpg

birdy2.jpg

Darek, we must be related. I'm a big animal lover too. I hearby give you one large ATTA BOY !
beerchug.gif

Yep, watched a nest grow, mother sit, babies hatch...then feathers everywhere...F'n cats! If I had a dollar for every nasty cat running around here!

guns.gif

Back