My baby is burping

Bigbody

Registered
I ran into this problem last Sunday. At 3/4 throttle between 6 and 9K rpm my bike is burping for a split second. It scares the crap outta me. It's like it hits a flat spot in the powerband for a second.

Possible problems:

1. I recently started running 87 octane.
I ran a full tank of 93 after, still happened.
2. I have a yosh full system with no map.
Been running it like this for 600 miles.
3. Bike is an '05 with 13,500 miles.
All service done at dealer.

You guys let me know what you think.

I ran into this problem last Sunday.  At 3/4 throttle between 6 and 9K rpm my bike is burping for a split second.  It scares the crap outta me.  It's like it hits a flat spot in the powerband for a second.  

Possible problems:

1.  I recently started running 87 octane.
2.  I have a yosh full system with no map.
3.  Bike is an '05 with 13,500 miles.

I had the EXACT thing happen to me a couple weeks ago only it was at lower RPM's. Mine only lasted for a couple minutes but it did it about 4-5 times. I switched to 89 octane and my bike just was NOT agreeing with it because I had always ran 94. I put 94 back in it and its been smooth as silk since. I either had water in the gas or it wasn't liking the octane.

You say you ran a whole tank of 93 and it still did it? That would lead me to believe your bike is not agreeing with the prgramming for the full system. You say you have NO map? Does that mean you don't have a power commander? If you aren't running a PC thats prolly the root of your trouble. It may not be but it sure is a logical place to start.

I ran into this problem last Sunday.  At 3/4 throttle between 6 and 9K rpm my bike is burping for a split second.  It scares the crap outta me.  It's like it hits a flat spot in the powerband for a second.  

Possible problems:

I had the EXACT thing happen to me a couple weeks ago only it was at lower RPM's. Mine only lasted for a couple minutes but it did it about 4-5 times.  I switched to 89 octane and my bike just was NOT agreeing with it because I had always ran 94. I put 94 back in it and its been smooth as silk since. I either had water in the gas or it wasn't liking the octane.

You say you ran a whole tank of 93 and it still did it? That would lead me to believe your bike is not agreeing with the prgramming for the full system. You say you have NO map? Does that mean you don't have a power commander? If you aren't running a PC thats prolly the root of your trouble. It may not be but it sure is a logical place to start.
Thanks bb69,
I don't have a pc because of monetary limitations. I wish I could take some off my avatar.  Next question would be, If I borrowed a pc and put on a yosh map, would the map stay when I took the pc off?  Anybody?  
1zhelp.gif

<!--EDIT|NVeeus04
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147465196 -->

Possible problems:

I had the EXACT thing happen to me a couple weeks ago only it was at lower RPM's. Mine only lasted for a couple minutes but it did it about 4-5 times.  I switched to 89 octane and my bike just was NOT agreeing with it because I had always ran 94. I put 94 back in it and its been smooth as silk since. I either had water in the gas or it wasn't liking the octane.

Thanks bb69,
I don't have a pc because of monetary limitations.  I wish I could take some off my avatar.  Next question would be, If I borrowed a pc and put on a yosh map, would the map stay when I took the pc off?  Anybody?  
1zhelp.gif
Once you remove the PC the map will not stay. The bike will run just like the PC was never there. Sorry bro but it looks like there is no cheap fix for that your gonna have to buy your own pc.

Damn! Thanks for the reply though. Looks like I'm gonna have to be easy on the throttle for a little bit.

Damn!  Thanks for the reply though.  Looks like I'm gonna have to be easy on the throttle for a little bit.
Not a problem dude.....one thing I forgot to ask you earlier. Did you have any lights come on the gauges like your FI light? Also since it may not be the PC issue before you spend the money on one if you have a friend that is willing to take his off for a day or so and load a different map on it you might try it and take the bike out and ride. If it DOES solve the issue then give your friends back and buy your own. If it doesn't however you will know its not a PC issue. Just a suggestion to trouble shoot before you drop the 300$. But just so you know I would get the PC regardless its only gonna benefit you and the bike.

I've had the exact same problem here recently but mine seems to be second gear only under FULL PINNED throttle, usually tween 8k and 10k. I was at a track and found it to be pretty consistant even between 87 oct and race 104 gas. I'm taking it in for service, and will ask them to look at the feul pump or something.

one time it hit, it popped the wheel up and I came down to a near tank slapper at 110. I doubt it's tranny now, because it only seems to happen under FULL PINNED throttle only

I've had the exact same problem here recently but mine seems to be second gear only under FULL PINNED throttle, usually tween 8k and 10k.  I was at a track and found it to be pretty consistant even between 87 oct and race 104 gas.  I'm taking it in for service, and will ask them to look at the feul pump or something.

one time it hit, it popped the wheel up and I came down to a near tank slapper at 110.  I doubt it's tranny now, because it only seems to happen under FULL PINNED throttle only
Let me know what they tell you. My 3/4 throttle is pretty close to fully pinned
smile.gif
Mine only happens in second gear also. I still have warranty but I'd hate to have it out on dealer time during riding season.

Damn!  Thanks for the reply though.  Looks like I'm gonna have to be easy on the throttle for a little bit.
Not a problem dude.....one thing I forgot to ask you earlier. Did you have any lights come on the gauges like your FI light? Also since it may not be the PC issue before you spend the money on one if you have a friend that is willing to take his off for a day or so and load a different map on it you might try it and take the bike out and ride. If it DOES solve the issue then give your friends back and buy your own. If it doesn't however you will know its not a PC issue. Just a suggestion to trouble shoot before you drop the 300$. But just so you know I would get the PC regardless its only gonna benefit you and the bike.
No lights came on or anything. I plan on buying a pc but just dont got the $$$ right now. Now I just gotta find someone that has a pc that I can borrow. That's the hard part.

I see we need to go back to the definition of OCTANE ! A clue, it has very little to do with POWER and ALOT to do with detonation or rather the prevention there of ! The higher the octane, the higher the detonation resistant the gas is. It allows higher compression levels in the pistons
wink.gif
, not more power . That comes from compression and burn rates in the chamber (as far as the fuel is concern) which could (but depending on the Compression) or could not need the higher octane. Suz says 87, and I haven't seen the reason to change. Of course new exhause with no map or FI compensation (maybe out of the ability of the stock unit) could cause what you've got
cool.gif

Back