Mustang Tire Question - Tire Experts jump in...

Twobrothersbusa

Team Gixxer Racing; IDMBT #1
Donating Member
Registered
Can I mount a set of 295 / 35 - 20s in place of the stock 285 / 35 - 20s without affecting the traction control or anti-lock braking? (For my sig car) Tire guy is thinking it might trigger an ABS issue since it is a bit taller than stock.

I got shipped a set of Michelin Pilot Sports (wrong size) that are supposed to be a bit stickier in the cold than the stock Goodyears.

It depends, if you are running a staggered setup you need to take into consideration the front size as well.

Not completely familiar with the OEM setup on your particular model, but I do know on any car that runs traction control based on ABS its the revolutions per minute it measures.

Now on the first generation traction controls for the Stangs it had a small margin % (not sure the exact number) that it would not trigger on. Whether they removed that on the newer models again I'm not sure. But this allowed the small difference in staggered fitments for a slightly taller rear tire.

295/35/20 = 28.1x11.6/20
285/35/20 = 27.9x11.2/20

Quite frankly that's a very MINIMUM disturbance of size. I worked for Discount Tire as a Ass. Manager for about 7 years ... put many wheel and tire setups that were not OEM fitment with bigger offsets than that with no issues. Vettes, BMWs and Benzs were among the pickiest when it came to fitment and again I don't recall any issues there with that amount of margin either.

But in the past few years I have not been in the industry things do change, so take what my opinion as just that .. an opinion.

I saw go for it for two reasons ... Goodyears suck compared to Michelins, ESPECIALLY the Pilot Sports, and two the more cushion between you and the road (sidewall height) the smoother that car will ride with its already stiff OEM suspension :)

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks!

It depends, if you are running a staggered setup you need to take into consideration the front size as well.

Not completely familiar with the OEM setup on your particular model, but I do know on any car that runs traction control based on ABS its the revolutions per minute it measures.

Now on the first generation traction controls for the Stangs it had a small margin % (not sure the exact number) that it would not trigger on. Whether they removed that on the newer models again I'm not sure. But this allowed the small difference in staggered fitments for a slightly taller rear tire.

295/35/20 = 28.1x11.6/20
285/35/20 = 27.9x11.2/20

Quite frankly that's a very MINIMUM disturbance of size. I worked for Discount Tire as a Ass. Manager for about 7 years ... put many wheel and tire setups that were not OEM fitment with bigger offsets than that with no issues. Vettes, BMWs and Benzs were among the pickiest when it came to fitment and again I don't recall any issues there with that amount of margin either.

But in the past few years I have not been in the industry things do change, so take what my opinion as just that .. an opinion.

I saw go for it for two reasons ... Goodyears suck compared to Michelins, ESPECIALLY the Pilot Sports, and two the more cushion between you and the road (sidewall height) the smoother that car will ride with its already stiff OEM suspension :)

If you're concerned either buy a programmer(several different brands that have multiple functions), or take it to a Ford dealer. The ecu can be recalibrated for a different tire/wheel size, it keeps the speedo close.

^^ This is true for the speedo, however if the front to rear revolutions are off too much it will still trigger the ABS light and kill the traction control and ABS functions.

We did this with a '01 GT and a Predator ... turned out a few lbs of air pressure was all it took to get it to go away :)

This is what the tire guy is worried about.

^^ This is true for the speedo, however if the front to rear revolutions are off too much it will still trigger the ABS light and kill the traction control and ABS functions.

And he has a valid reason to be worried ... it's not his car lol

Just as a added bit of info here are your *estimated* RPMs at 65MPH

295/35/20 = 28.1x11.6/20 = 388.75 RPMs
285/35/20 = 27.9x11.2/20 = 391.54 RPMs

I honestly don't see a big enough difference to worry :)

The ecu can compensate for such a minimal difference. Consider the difference in the two tire sizes, very small right?
Now consider a few good burnouts will remove more rubber than that. Your abs doesn't just work with a new tire, and quit when you burn over a 1/4" of tire diameter off.:poke:

Good point.
The ecu can compensate for such a minimal difference. Consider the difference in the two tire sizes, very small right?
Now consider a few good burnouts will remove more rubber than that. Your abs doesn't just work with a new tire, and quit when you burn over a 1/4" of tire diameter off.:poke:

Think I could squeeze this as a fatty on the busa...I'll be putting these on the stang in the am.
IMAG0262.jpg

Thanks for the info. I am going to give it a try tomorrow.

And he has a valid reason to be worried ... it's not his car lol

Just as a added bit of info here are your *estimated* RPMs at 65MPH

295/35/20 = 28.1x11.6/20 = 388.75 RPMs
285/35/20 = 27.9x11.2/20 = 391.54 RPMs

I honestly don't see a big enough difference to worry :)

Get em on there? only thing i'd worry about is actual size and will they fit, 285's fit the back of my camaro great, the 305's took some Hammer work:whistle:

They fit fine with no issues....except traction. I'll give them the a try when it is warmer than 16 degrees outside.

Thanks for the help.

Michelin's come with a THICK glaze over the tires new, even their performance tires. Which hinders its traction a bit in the breaking in miles.

So driving them or just give them a few spins on some rough concrete should accelerate the process of breaking them in.

We always dared the customers to go do a burn out in a abandoned Wal-Mart parking lot ... its funny how many just didn't mind. :whistle:

Back