Must Do's?

Medic

Registered
OK, Now that I have my new bike, of course the mod bug is going to bite. I have been reading a ton and there are so many things you can do to these. So, I am going to ask, even though I did a search and did not find anything that hit on this directly...what should be at the top of the list for must do mods? The previous owner put an adjustable dog bone link on there and it is lowered a little. I plan on raising it back up as much as I can with what he has in place. He also put a full 4-2-1 Yoshi exhaust on there. It has a CF can. Other than that, I am not sure exactly which one it is.

My plans are to ride this bike and make it fun, comfy, and plan to keep it for a long, long time. So, with that being said, where should I start? :eh:

HID headlight would be the first thing IMO. After that it all really depends on how you are going to ride it. Drag race, general riding around town, or mainly twisties? That is the beauty of this bike is it can do everything well with just a few mods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have to say the seat. I'd do it to enhance the look of the bit, but more so, for riding "comfortability".

My stock seat is not pleasant, after 45+ miles of riding.

Corbin or New Image seems to be the favorites :thumbsup:

I still have the stocker on my 09'. My next $300 is going into a new seat (driver with matching passenger) :)

The only thing to consider with the seat is leg room. If you are tall (I am 6'3") I do not like giving up the legroom the cut seat takes away.....

you already got the exhaust- do you have a power commander? that would be first on my list, or maybe an ecu re-flash from a qualified tech...

Cooling system. drop in some engine ice, muzzy fan, second fan mod, anything to keep your bike cool. im a little biased at the moment tho cause i just got done dealing with cooling problems haha. these bike are heat pumps.:rofl:

The only thing to consider with the seat is leg room. If you are tall (I am 6'3") I do not like giving up the legroom the cut seat takes away.....

Well, I'm right at 6'1, with the boots on. I think the seat lower's you about 1.0-1.5". I'd sacrifice that, for a better feeling bottom, on long rides. My stock seat feels like a 2x6, after so many miles. :laugh:

I am same height 6'3" and did a Tobin Seat before everyone switched over to New Image. I did the Buell Peg Mod to offset and regain some of the lost legroom after installing the cut seat. I really like the way you sit into the bike vs feeling like you are sitting ontop of it with stock seat. I would also second doing HID upgrade for headlights especially if you do a lot of night riding.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks guys. As I am 6'2" I also need all the leg room I can get. I was looking at the seat and peg info. Great info so far everyone. Thanks!

you already got the exhaust- do you have a power commander? that would be first on my list, or maybe an ecu re-flash from a qualified tech...

I do not have a PC as of now. I guess I need to figure out the best thing to get. I know they are popular so they must do something good for ya :D

If you want to raise the bike back up to stock height, you will need to replace those dog bones. The hole adjustable ones will not work because you will need to put the bolts in the shortest two holes. When you do this, the dog bones will make contact with the shock support. I had the same thing and had to install oem dog bones to return to regular height.

the first thing i do to ANY bike is upgrade the brakes. very minimum, steel braided lines and aftermarket levers (you can do both for about $100 each)

a power comander is used to remap the fuel injection schedule to get the best performance out of an aftermarket exhaust- there are a couple of things you should do along with this:
1. do the "small airbox mod"
2. do the "pair valve mod"
3.and it may be included in the airbox mod, but there is whats known as the "marble mod"

all of these are performance enhancers and are pretty much universally done as far as i can tell. my beast has all the above- you can find all details in a search of this site... ain't that great?!! i love it here...:thumbsup:

optionally- an ecu re-flash will act the same as a pc, with some added effects:
1. ignition timing can be tweaked
2. speed limiter can be removed
3. other small myriad changes (rev limiter, others) that may be positive to you, but the first two are the ones i want...

1. doube check that bike has proper tune for exhaust either via PC or ECU flash (preferred)
2. upgrade brake/clutch lines and pads
3. kickstand mod
4. seat
5. windscreen
6. new fluids all throughout (actually, make this #1): oil, brake/clutch, coolant

Thanks guys. As I am 6'2" I also need all the leg room I can get. I was looking at the seat and peg info. Great info so far everyone. Thanks!

You may/may not like helibars and .75 bar risers(can be used seperately or combined). They raise the bars, and the heli's change the height and angle, bars are also closer to you. Myself and alot of folks like them as they take some pressure off of your wrists and allow to sit slightly more upright.
There are 5 main aftermarket seats, Corbin, Tobin/New Image, Suzuki Gel, Saddleman, and Sergeant. Unless you have something custom on the stock seat pan. Which is right for you is anyone's guess. Best thing is to try and find members near you with different things to try out. It'll save you alot of time and money.
Also check out Boostbysmith.com(site sponsor), the ECU Editor for $208. It's much cheaper and far superior to a power Commander.:beerchug:

HID's and at your height a Double Bubble or PUIG windscreen.

I've got a Corbin sitting on the shelf in my garage, cause the stocker is way superior for me. I'm 6'2" with long arms and everything about the bike is "fitting".

Back