MSF U-Turns

MikesGSX1300RK9

Registered
I had a GREAT ride this morning! Headed out down US-1 near Melbourne, FL and rode South for awhile, then looped back and came home on A1A. Nice morning... not too hot. The heat started once I got to the parking lot and started working on some MSF maneuvers. Dripping with sweat.

While I was out parking lot practicing, I realized that the MSF-style u-turns (supposed to imitate making a u-turn on a real 2-lane road) are difficult with the Busa. I don't think I got even one right. The issue seems to be that the gas tank gets in my way.

Anyone else have this issue? Just trying to master low-speed handling on the Busa, which is still fairly new to me.

Thanks,

Mike

I had a GREAT ride this morning! Headed out down US-1 near Melbourne, FL and rode South for awhile, then looped back and came home on A1A. Nice morning... not too hot. The heat started once I got to the parking lot and started working on some MSF maneuvers. Dripping with sweat.

While I was out parking lot practicing, I realized that the MSF-style u-turns (supposed to imitate making a u-turn on a real 2-lane road) are difficult with the Busa. I don't think I got even one right. The issue seems to be that the gas tank gets in my way.

Anyone else have this issue? Just trying to master low-speed handling on the Busa, which is still fairly new to me.

Thanks,

Mike

Welcome,

Every one has issues of some kind when they are first learning, or on a new/different bike. Keep practicing and you will be fine.

It takes some practice and the proper technique, but it can be done. The box is 20’x60’ in the BRC. You are allowed 24’x70’ for the larger bikes. I regularly demo with my bike on the 20’x60’.
Head turn, eye control, and throttle/clutch control are very important. You can also try dragging the rear brake slightly. I’ve got a video somewhere I posted I’ll see if I can find.

I did it last night 3 times when I lost my lisence plate on sr98.. it fell off in a turn and me and my friends looked for it for 1/2 hour and got lucky and found it

Thanks, y'all. Professor, I didn't see the video link... will search for it. 071300r, glad you found your plate. :-)

Damn, it was fun riding today. Hopped on the Ninja 250 (used for most commuting) and realized I'm gonna have to upgrade it to at least a 500 or 650 now... The Busa should be my weekend machine or my long commuter... but definitely need something bigger than the 250 for in-town jaunts now that I've become accustomed to the Busa's power (below 5000 rpm so far!)

Mike

i struggled with the figure 8's a few years ago on the MSF advanced course. feather the clutch, shift your butt to the outside of the bike when turning, and look through that turn. it took me a few years to finally master it. :thumbsup:

I cant turn around on a small area without hitting the ground. Its all about knowing your busa. Controlling it and counterleaning:thumbsup:

With +2 gearing I can do al of the MSF course basics without having to pull in the clutch. I can do the u-turn and slalom without issue with no passengers. With my girlfriend on the back it is pretty difficult to slalom and I've had to put a foot down on a couple occasions. I can do it now, but it took practice.

Everybody needs to give it a try to hone their skills.

Back