Mounting headsets for radios

bronc3

Registered
Picked up a couple of Chatterboxes the other day. Installed the headset in my wife's helmet and it was simple. She has a (don't slam me too hard) Z1R. Nifty little pockets for the earphones. Checked my two HJC's and they both have them as well. Even one of my Fulmers has 'em. Installed the other set in my nice, safe, fairly high-dollar Shoei. No pockets. Hardly enough room in the ear recesses at all for a comfortable fit. Got it done, but it took a bit of work to make it comfortable. Had to get them to where I could hear them well, but not feel them against my ears. One would hope that all manufacterers of helmets, not just the low-end ones, would allow for the use of these headsets. Too bad that's not the case. Not like Shoei would have to compromise the safety of their helmets to sew in a small pocket and allow a tiny bit of room in the foam padding.

i hope you don't have the rf-1000. I just got the GMRS-X1 and was gonna install it tonite for Saturdays ride. Quick ? Am I supposed to drain the battery and recharge it before the initial use or just use it? the instructions say it is pre-charged and then they lose me with subtle inuendos.

I can do a write-up for the Arai w/Chatterbox. I've done 2 of them. One for mine. The other for a friend. He loved the results. He said he wouldn't have found it, if he didn't know about it.

Yep, you WERE talking about the Shoei! I got it installed with no problems. I'm not really impressed with the 2 X 4 they use for a Mic though. If I put it directly in fron tof my mouth I'll be setting the VOX off everytime I move my lips 'cause I have less than 1/8" clearance. If I move it to the side where it's comfortable and out of the way the VOX picks up mid sentence and drops out three words later at High Sens. Thank goodness they include the manual PTT button! Looks like I'll be using that on Sat. I'll call Chaterbox and see if they offer a different style Mic. I haven't actually used it while moving yet so it may be a completely different world while in motion. We'll see.

i hope you don't have the rf-1000. I just got the GMRS-X1 and was gonna install it tonite for Saturdays ride. Quick ?  Am I supposed to drain the battery and recharge it before the initial use or just use it? the instructions say it is pre-charged and then they lose me with subtle inuendos.
Just charge it up-they say like 14 hr initial.

Yep, you WERE talking about the Shoei! I got it installed with no problems. I'm not really impressed with the 2 X 4 they use for a Mic though. If I put it directly in fron tof my mouth I'll be setting the VOX off everytime I move my lips 'cause I have less than 1/8" clearance. If I move it to the side where it's comfortable and out of the way the VOX picks up mid sentence and drops out three words later at High Sens. Thank goodness they include the manual PTT button! Looks like I'll be using that on Sat. I'll call Chaterbox and see if they offer a different style Mic. I haven't actually used it while moving yet so it may be a completely different world while in motion. We'll see.
Been playing with mine for a couple days now between rain showers. The sensitivity adjustment for the VOX works well. It has plenty of adjustment range for a bike. On mine, the optimal setting seems to be in the area of 9 o'clock, looking at the unit from the front. Also found you need the mic as close to your mouth as possible.

Back