Motorcycle Safety Topic of the Week

ridercoach

Post ***** King & Local Safety Guru
Donating Member
Registered
Something we tank for granted huh. Those lovely pre ride inspections. OK, how many of us actually do this? Lets be honest, its getting close to riding time you throw all your gear on and jump on the bike and take off, totally forgetting one of the easiest ways to keep our selves safe on these beasts.

I am guilty as the rest of us that do not do a pre ride inspection. I have to remind myself to do this every time I ride, does it always work, No but maybe this post will be a reminder to myself.

T-CLOCS

Tires and wheels
Controls
Lights and electric
Oil and other fluids
Chassis
Side stand

Tires and Wheels:  Check your air pressure, tread, barings, brakes and if you got them spokes.

You ever start riding after the bike sat for a week or so and something didn’t feel right? Sort of mushy or soft in the arse end. Tire pressure accounts a lot for this kind of feeling. Make sure you have enough tread to handle the weather and the road. Make sure you wheels spin without to much resistance and give your brakes a glimpse for wear. Also test them out before you leave the drive way.

Controls: Levers, switches, cables, hoses, and throttle

Easy enough make sure everything works freely, make sure you throttle snaps back to the off position and make sure your hoses are not cracked or frayed.

Lights and Electrics:

Check all your lights for working condition and check for any shorts. If its day light and you can’t see your break light, do what I do and back your bike up against a wall and apply your break. You should see the red reflection on the wall.

Oil and other fluids: Oil, Hydraulic Fluid, Coolant, and leaks

Make sure all your fluid levels are up to par. Look thru your windows and make sure they are at the proper level. If they are below you may have a leak. Always check the ground after your bike has been parked for a while for leaks. Glimpse in where you can see for any other leaks.

Chassis: Suspension and drive components

Make sure your suspension is set for you and if you take a passenger, check the owner’s manual for proper settings. Check your chain for flex and your sprocket for wear or cracks.

Side stand: tension spring

Easy check here, make sure it goes up and down easily.

All these steps should not take you more than 5 mins. Those 5 mins can just save your life. Please don’t take it for granted that your bike runs like a raped ape all the time. There just might be that one time when a simple check could have saved you a heck of lot of heart ache.

I know a few of our busas are getting up there in age. So these checks become more critical.

Thanks for listening

Ride Safe

Your local Safety Guru,

Dave (Coach)

<!--EDIT|ridercoach
Reason for Edit: None given...|1105505821 -->

Thanks for that reminder Coach
beerchug.gif

I'm sure none of us do a pre ride every time but we should. We are riding the fastest production bike in the world.
wink.gif

I am guilty of always having a tire gauge in my back pocket. My wife seems to think it is funny because I still carry it & haven't been on the bike in over a month. But I do use it every time I roll out of the garage!
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I am really gulity of not doing this, I was so excited the other day to get a ride in at luch, but I had to finish putting the bike back together first (in a not very safety concious manner). Thanks, for the remind though I will try to make it a habit.

Thanks once again, RC
smile.gif
I am guilty of never really doing a pre-ride inspection... Things have to change
smile.gif

--Chris

smile.gif

Back