Motorcycle/Motorcycling: Superstitions/Fears/Myth's/Old Wives Tales

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
I'll start by sharing just one. I only have one,because as some of you might know,I am hardly neurotic at all. :laugh:
Anyways for perhaps the last 20-30-40 years, IDK for sure...I go to put my riding gloves on,I pick up a glove,if it is the right hand glove...I throw it back down. I MUST put my left hand glove on first. If I don't do it that way for some reason,it can bother my ride. :eek:
My mind goes to "CRASH EMINENT" ...how fugged up is that ?
O.K. there's more. Fine. I only get on from the left side. If I'm on the right I will walk around. Little bit of sanity there actually,it is more comfortable and easy to get on with the lean of the bike on its side-stand. Especially with a hugely busted up body like mine.
So what you got guy's?
Perhaps you had one of them spirit bell thingies that have to be gifted to you (legend has it,you cannot buy your own).
Maybe you had one and threw it in the garbage after your first crash.
What keeps you up at night....:fire:
Rubb.

I always put my gloves on before I fish the bike key out of my pocket... so it's gloves on, a deep sigh, gloves off, key out of pocket, key into ignition, gloves back on...

Not out of any superstition, just stupidity.... :confused:
I've ridin' with guys like you before. Gloves on,then helmet.Cant do up chin strap.
Try to force helmet over eye glasses.
Jacket on first then gloves put on...can't do up jacket.Gloves come off.
Have to look at rear view mirror to do up chin strap,mostly a chic thing.Mostly. :laugh:
Helmet before ear buds or plugs.
Blah blah blah.
I lose my shi7. I have "Fired" people for that. Fired as a riding buddy.Favorite saying in those situations:
"I have one nerve left and you're getting on it!"
My patience level usually hovers around ZERO.
:mad::banghead::redface:
Rubb.

I had a riding Buddy that would not let me ride in front of him because he didn't want a black cat crossing in front of him. When he told us that we all ROLF but I actually think he was serious. He was a great guy and I never got any racist vibes off him what so ever. Pretty funny.

For me I avoid paint markings on the road. Stripes, arrows, any thing painted on the road I won't stop over or ride over. I also try to go between the lines when changing lanes, no over a line. This comes from once slipping and dumping a bike on a wet turn arrow, now its automatic.

A bit more weird is I never do anything with an odd number. If I'm doing 55 I will speed up to 56. Radio volume I will always set it to a even number. I do not know the source of this habit but I actually have gotten OSD about it.

I've ridin' with guys like you before. Gloves on,then helmet.Cant do up chin strap.
Try to force helmet over eye glasses.
Jacket on first then gloves put on...can't do up jacket.Gloves come off.
Have to look at rear view mirror to do up chin strap,mostly a chic thing.Mostly. :laugh:
Helmet before ear buds or plugs.
Blah blah blah.
I lose my shi7. I have "Fired" people for that. Fired as a riding buddy.Favorite saying in those situations:
"I have one nerve left and you're getting on it!"
My patience level usually hovers around ZERO.
:mad::banghead::redface:
Rubb.

Geez, glad we're not riding buddies. :poke:

tropic-thunder-blackface.png

tropic-thunder-blackface.png

2345574dd0543f16ec6e47.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ro3vNsrNBm.jpg

Last edited:
Superstitions...fears...the occult

A buddy of mine stopped by a couple weeks ago.Brought a couple of cold ones for himself to sip on. Insisted I look at his receipt. So I took a pic to bug him with later.
He was,shall we say,somewhat freaked out. :shocked: (he's....a believer)

Rubb.

I used to ride with one of those deer whistles on my old Harley until the consensus was they didn't work. Not a superstitious thing but more of a myth.

I used to ride with one of those deer whistles on my old Harley until the consensus was they didn't work. Not a superstitious thing but more of a myth.
I never bothered 08. To me it was like a wasp trap on the patio. Sure,killz 'em,but maybe attracts them from miles away too.

Deer whistle: perhaps wakes them up from their nap...and scares them into running onto the road.
:laugh:
Awesome little "rip-off" idea thou. Perhaps the brain child of Ronco or that "As seen on TV guy."
But ya never really know...."Just set it,and forget it" :D
Rubb.

I was a Harley guy too. Did you run "The Spirit Bell" thingy or whatever its called.
mmmmmm spoooky. :shocked:
Rubb.

I was a Harley guy too. Did you run "The Spirit Bell" thingy or whatever its called.
mmmmmm spoooky. :shocked:
Rubb.

We called those "crash bells" at the dealership... every insurance appraisal that was dragged into the shop had one on it.. not very lucky.

I'm sure the truth was closer to the fact that those bells are a noob-rider thing (trying to embrace the lifestyle! :rolleyes: ) and those folks tend to crash their bikes more often than do seasoned guys and gals.

Back