More Bad Press!!

That first vid was posted a while back, and those reports aren't Deal's Gap related, but the roadways look very similar...I'm sure north GA is a biker destination for the same reason that so many flock to Deal's Gap...

I might be a minority on this topic, but I tend to agree with what is being said in those reports, and you can't argue too much with the stats they're compiling.  If more and more sport bikers are being killed from their aggressive driving on roads like that, and others are feeling "terrorized" by 'em, the cops have to do something to deter that behavior.  Of course, you have to also take in to acct the number being busted without even being licensed or those that are out drinking and riding  
sad.gif

I don't know that the sport bike community will ever overcome the stereotypes we have now...

...kind of why so many of our avid twisty riders take a lot of track days
cool.gif
 That gives you the chance to really test your skills and not do it on public roads...

If those are the videos I remember, cant see them at work, they are from Blood Mountain.

Those roads are some of the finest banked and smoothest pavement I have ever had the chance to ride. However....there is WAAAAAAYYYYY more traffic on this section of road then the Gap.

This road reminds me of the Skyway...it just invites the throttle to be twisted. Everytime I go, I have to remind my self that I am on a heavly traveled road.

(vman1300 @ May 23 2007,09:38) If those are the videos I remember, cant see them at work, they are from Blood Mountain.

Those roads are some of the finest banked and smoothest pavement I have ever had the chance to ride. However....there is WAAAAAAYYYYY more traffic on this section of road then the Gap.

This road reminds me of the Skyway...it just invites the throttle to be twisted. Everytime I go, I have to remind my self that I am on a heavly traveled road.
Yea it's Blood Mountain and over by TWO in Suches. These videos have been around quite a while.

(vman1300 @ May 23 2007,09:38) ....there is WAAAAAAYYYYY more traffic on this section of road then the Gap.
Yeah, there seems to be more homes right along the roads, lots of intersections and such, so a lot of traffic variables to maneuver while riding...lots to "run in to" should you be riding faster or beyond your ability...
sad.gif

The Deal's Gap area seems to offer much longer riding without much to worry about beyond who's in front of you and who's behind...

If they're putting other peoples lives at stake,bust them!!!Something I don't put up with while riding.That's why most my rides are by myself.I bought the busa for my enjoyment,no one elses.

(proud dad @ May 23 2007,10:20) If they're putting other peoples lives at stake,bust them!!!
A perfectly safe pass albeit on a double yellow can be precieved by the general public as putting lives at risk.

There are quite a few that use Blood Mountain as a race track. I myself ride at a very spirited pace but do not consider that I put other lives at stake.

With stories like that I have no interest going to Deals Gap if your going to be looked at in a hate full way. You who ride out there have some public relations to work on, stories like that are bad for all of us who ride sport bikes.

Whats the deal out there Vman, two shots of a Hayabusa one all messed up on the ground.

(manatrader @ May 23 2007,11:07) With stories like that I have no interest going to Deals Gap if your going to be looked at in a hate full way. You who ride out there have some public relations to work on, stories like that are bad for all of us who ride sport bikes.

Whats the deal out there Vman, two shots of a Hayabusa one all messed up on the ground.
Those stories weren't from Deal's Gap, but I know the wrecks on the Dragon are equally bad
sad.gif

After finally riding the Dragon (yay me) I do see how those roads are 1) addictive to riders of all kinds and 2) that the 11 mile stretch of the Dragon, while dangerous if you ride beyond your means, is not riddled with intersections and driveways.  You do need to watch for cagers and 18-wheelers, and I did find that when more experienced riders are jammed up behind me, I just wave 'em on and life is good...

It was a great road to finally ride...no regrets, but I doubt I'll ever hit it on a busy weekend...more riders and traffic = more opportunity for accidents...

(VaBusa @ May 23 2007,11:16)
(manatrader @ May 23 2007,11:07) With stories like that I have no interest going to Deals Gap if your going to be looked at in a hate full way. You who ride out there have some public relations to work on, stories like that are bad for all of us who ride sport bikes.

Those stories weren't from Deal's Gap, but I know the wrecks on the Dragon are equally bad
sad.gif

After finally riding the Dragon (yay me) I do see how those roads are 1) addictive to riders of all kinds and 2) that the 11 mile stretch of the Dragon, while dangerous if you ride beyond your means, is not riddled with intersections and driveways.  You do need to watch for cagers and 18-wheelers, and I did find that when more experienced riders are jammed up behind me, I just wave 'em on and life is good...

It was a great road to finally ride...no regrets, but I doubt I'll ever hit it on a busy weekend...more riders and traffic = more opportunity for accidents...
I ride Deals Gap quite often. I am not there for the race...I leave that for the youngsters. Enjoying the gap has a lot to do with being curteous to others. If someone is faster (which there most certainly will be) let them go on by. Almost everyone plays nice or I wouldn't keep going back. However, there are a few that think the road is a race track that they own and can spoil your day if you let them. On the gap as in life playing well with others is the key to enjoyment.

(Rayabusa0818 @ May 23 2007,11:26) I ride Deals Gap quite often.  I am not there for the race...I leave that for the youngsters.  Enjoying the gap has a lot to do with being curteous to others.  If someone is faster (which there most certainly will be) let them go on by.  Almost everyone plays nice or I wouldn't keep going back. However, there are a few that think the road is a race track that they own and can spoil your day if you let them.  On the gap as in life playing well with others is the key to enjoyment.
My biggest fears before I finally did ride it were other riders much more experienced than myself...I don't like holding anyone up, and I don't like feeling pressured to ride beyond what I can to stay out of their way...that's how I'll get hurt and I know that...

I was fortunate to hit it at a great time when most were off the dragon and eating dinner
smile.gif
 It made all the difference in the world to me...

I need to investigate tracks near jacksonville fl! I've been keeping it sane for the most part. But man does the busa beg to be abused!

(manatrader @ May 23 2007,11:07) Whats the deal out there Vman, two shots of a Hayabusa one all messed up on the ground.
I am sure you have the same where you live, there are a few that spoil the fun for the majority.

Many times at the Gap, I have been forced to have a "Word of Prayer" with riders who are doing something way outta line or riding over their head. Yes and I have even did that for a few members of this board.

The Gap is my backyard and my chosen place to go and ride when I have a "kitchen pass". The locals, myself included "police" the place ourself and have even made a few riders/car drivers leave the Hill due to unsafe activity.

All it takes is one unsafe move and we are ALL percieved as dangerous.

(VaBusa @ May 23 2007,10:16) ...no regrets, but I doubt I'll ever hit it on a busy weekend...more riders and traffic = more opportunity for accidents...
+1. When I go to the Gap, I ride the dragon all day on Thursday and on Friday until it starts to get busy, then I'll ride the outer roads. Saturday and Sunday, I'll do a pass or two on the dragon before breakfast, then its back to the outer roads again.

It really kills me when I see bad press like this as well as seeing the Busa to be made out to be a monster by showing Idiots that do wheelies at 100+ it is no wonder cagers and the press give us a bad rap. I chose the Busa because it is a fun bike to ride and the only time I twist the throttle is when there is no one around to put in danger except myself. Those roads at Blood Mountain and Deals Gap look really cherry I hope to get there some day. VMan good on ya and the locals for policing the mountain I think that is a good way to keep the racers and stuff off the mountain especially the sport bike guys who like to race when they see the locals and locals on a sport bikes and they tell them to stop or leave it most likely makes a big impact. We have a road here in Austin called Lime Creek Road were they go and race the twisties and the same thing happens here they crash and burn. But like I said I really hate it when a small part of the sport bike community gives us Busa riders and other sport bike rider a bad name that ride responsibly.

Another thing the general public does not realize is that 100 mph on a sportbike is NOT the same thing as 100 mph in a cage. Anyway, IMO, its inexperienced riders and stunters (nothing wrong with stunting in the right place) cause this bad press. Its too damn easy to go fast on a bike. It doesn't have to be a busa or a gixxer 1k. Also, the motorcycle accident report numbers are skewed. Sure, there will be a higher rate of bike accidents on roads like those in the video/Dragon. But if you looked at the TOTAL motorcycle crashes for the country, those stats wouldn't look nearly as bad. Correct me if I'm wrong, but left turning cages still cause about half the crashes that involve motorcycles.

It's riders like that, abusing their riding privileges instead of going to a track that are the reason why I get pulled over for no reason at all...

(JuiceSC @ May 23 2007,13:27) ... But if you looked at the TOTAL motorcycle crashes for the country, those stats wouldn't look nearly as bad. Correct me if I'm wrong, ...
I'm pretty sure you are wrong. Motorcycle accidents are on the rise across the country. But it isn't because of more racers/stunters, its because of more people buying bikes and more first year riders.

(BusaWhipped @ May 23 2007,08:26)
(JuiceSC @ May 23 2007,13:27) ... But if you looked at the TOTAL motorcycle crashes for the country, those stats wouldn't look nearly as bad. Correct me if I'm wrong, ...
I'm pretty sure you are wrong.  Motorcycle accidents are on the rise across the country.   But it isn't because of more racers/stunters, its because of more people buying bikes and more first year riders.
That is very true! It is also true about cruser's/Harleys.
"I got a lot of extra cash now and I always wanted a bike". - This is the reason!

Back