Modern retro bikes

That channel, tumamoto, is well known for posting fake new bike announcements.... take every video with a large grain of salt.

The fact that Suzuki is in the process of replacing their v-twins with parallel-twins should tell you all you need to know about tales of future v-twin bikes.

The original kickazz Z1 from 1973, 903ccs of air cooled carbureted grunt with twin shocks. This one’s setup for vintage racing but still has a drum rear brake and wire wheels! Right behind is my 2018 Z900RetroSport, 948ccs of water cooled fuel injected ABS slipper clutch and mono shock equipped grunt. The original came with four pipes. The new one, a four into one.

IMG_0220.png

I remember when they brought back the triumph in the late 80's? A mate bought one, it was ok, but not as reliable as the originals. A year or so ago I looked at the new katana, not rebuilt as a sports bike but as a roadster, whatever they are, I've never ridden one. The build quality was a bit poor I thought after looking it over, this was a SH one and there was rust on a lot of nuts n bolts.

These remakes will find a market for sure but not with me! I don't buy bikes based on past glories but on current build quality, reliability, handling and all that uncool stuff. I guess I'm just a dinosaur like that. But even transitions can get it wrong. When I rode a zzr-11 I was thinking of upgrading to the new zzr 1200, anyone remember those? I knew a guy that had one and after a good look over it dismissed the idea. It looked good from a distance but up close was tacky so to speak. They never sold well, were discontinued after 3 years or so.

Kawasaki_1200_ZZR_1024_x_768_4.jpg

My old zzr, they handeled like a pig until you did the suspension. I had an ohlins put on the back with the remote pre-load and a fork rebuild with decent springs and valve emulators.
The bend in the number-plate is for the benefit of the fixed speed cameras :D

BIKE 00-D.JPG

Back