Mobil 1 Inside Info

OB_FalconCOP161

Registered
Inside from a source at Mobil Corp. Our fleet of Patrol vehicles just switched to Mobil 1, and while talking to the Rep. he was asked about the new Motorcycle Oil and the car version of the same. In a low tone to his Voice he stated "They're Exactly the Same product" just diff. Weight. It's Called Smart marketing.
lets sell these motorcycle riders what they think is a whole new product,,better for the bikes..but just put the same oil in a diff. bottle with a bike on it, and charge them up to $9.00 a quart for the stuff..What SAPS !!
Well Guys I for one will continue to buy Mobil 1 for my busa..but not fall for the marketing bullshit of the Bike stuff. I just put 15w-50 (Red Cap) Bottle, from Shop-Rite at $3.95 in my Bike and right away my temp gauge wont go past the halfway point till I'm in traffic for a while..even then my fan kicks in and brings it back down below half.
great stuff!!..Don't fall for the hype..save your $$$ And keep the motorcycle Mobil 1 on the shelf.

Cop161 ®

sorry to burst your insider source bubble but I have test data in my hands right now from an independent source and the oils ARE NOT THE SAME.

They even look and smell different. The additives such as Zinc phosphorus calcium etc are also different. The also performed different on a heat age test I have done. If anyone wants a copy of the test data send me your email address and i will email the file to you.

The oils were tested at Oil Analysts INC in Atlanta Ga. I dont work for anyone or have any insider info I am just doing the research for a magazine article I am working on about motor oils.

Don
Rotts4u@Aol.com
RoadDog

[This message has been edited by rotts4u (edited 01 September 1999).]

And I believe he`s full of sh*#...Has he ever heard of false advertising? You can look at the ratings on the bottle...I just did...not the same. And if I can ever remember to recheck on it two weeks ago it was only 3.65 a quart for the bike oil although someone said that they could not get that price. I will post the exact price shortly....I have bought it for 3.65 myself several times.

Hey Don are you checking the Redline 10w-40 and the Amsoil 10w-40 high performance oils also? The Amsoil stuff is supposed to be real good.

I've used the Amsoil periodically in my modified turbo car and have seen stats on it compared to other oils. It IS better but it's also pretty darn expensive. Too much $ for me considering the slight advantage compared to the others but not so expensive for some one paying $9+ a quart already!

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 01 September 1999).]

Rotts..No bubble burst here. Use what you think is good. Of course Mobil is going to give out all these testing results to show that the oil is Different. Dose anyone really think a large corp. gives a poop about what we put in our Bikes ?,,or do you think they just like to make Money ?? Folks can read all the test till there blue in the Face..I'm still saving between 5 & 6 Bucks a quart,And My busa will keep going Strong. No thanks..I'll stick to the 15w-50 Synthetic From my Friendly Shop-Rite. Plus with My Shop-rite Card I get a free Turkey by Thanksgiving.. : ),,what does the local Motorcycle shop give you, but up the price on the oil you buy.
Mobil oil is out to make Money and if they can use a gimmick of putting the same oil in a cool looking black bottle they will. they won't use me for a sucker.

Ride Safe 161 ®

Notraction, I don't think the 0W40 is sold in the states. Its not listed in any of the Mobil 1 advertising. There is a 0W30 for cars listed.

anyone tried the 0w 40 version of mobil 1?
0w means its much thinner when the oil is cold compared to the 15w meaning quicker lubrication on start-up..gotta be a bonus?

If the makers of Mobil 1 would repackage the auto oil in "For motorcycle Mobil 1" package, that would fall under false advertising. That would almost rate right up there with the Exxon Valdias. No large corporation would try that one, because all one has to due is buy the products, send them into Finnings SOS labs or any other oil testing labs out there, and you will get a breakdown of whats in the samples. I think that the rep had his head up his A$$. Yes I believe that the "base stock" is the same, but the additive package is way different. Its the additive packages that make oils what they are today. In some oils that packages can be as high as 40+ percent of the volume. With synthetics, more times than not its the additives that wear out or get used up before the oil itself wears out. So, if you can find the Mobil 1 for bikes, spend the money, your transmission,and therefore the rest of your engine will love you for it. People, you have just laid out big bucks for one of the most powerful and fastest bikes in the world.
PS- the main differents between regular died dynosaurs and synthetic oils(vegetable based or man made)is that at 250 plus degrees the oil starts to turn into crud. Most synthetics don't start to turn into crud until well over 450 degrees. You ask where does the engine see 250 degrees temps? Mostly in the rod bearing. IF the oil in the pan is at 200 degrees F, the oil running in the rod bearings (due to pressure) will momentarely reach 275 degrees F plus causing breakdown(color change is one indication)

Maybe I did not make myself clear before. I am not using any data supplied by mobil or anyone else. I sent unmarked samples to an independent lab who conducted the analysis and returned the results to me. Its not a big deal Cost is $15 per sample.

The oil IS DIFFERENT. PERIOD. I have sent out several files to those that have asked for them so far with the results in spreadsheet format..

Thus far I have not tested Redline just because I cant get it locally. I have tested Amsoil 2000 and it ranks right at the top 3 everytime I test it for anything.

One this that suprised me was how BAD castrol bike oils are. I tested the sythetic the semi and the petro oil all in bike specific versions. Much worse results in the heat stability tests in particular.

I tested several car oils and all of Belrays products, castrol car and bike oils and a few others so far.

Right now if I had to put an oil in my bike and ride to california and back I would go with Mobil bike oil or Amsoil 2000. Next choice would be Belray full synthetic

I want to get torco and Redline and Klotz as well as Motul. If anyone has 4 ounces to spare email me Id love to get a sample. And Ill post the results

Thanks
Don
Rotts4u@Aol.com

Its really impossible to ever actually get at the truth about this oil debate, but I would venture to say that most name brand oil is probably good and will do the job if changed regularly. I have al;ways used Mobil1 car oil until my last oil change then begrudgenly bought the motorcycle specific oil. Is it better? who knows, but I only ride about 2K per year and chage it every 2K so if Iam getting screwed its only once a year. Insurance and taxes screw us much more vigorously and we know that for sure! If you feel better pouring it in thats worth something.

Maybe frank ?? but lets just say I shift alot smoother,,My Temp is down,,And I have an extra 6 bucks a quart in my pocket with the Red Mobil 1 15w-50. plus changing my oil as I do every 2k the savings will add up.

As with everything else..Big company's are out to make money with Fancy New & improved Gimmicks, they have no intrest or care about what oil we put in our Bikes as long as They can takes us for a Ride..not me no thx

Ride Safe 161

PS-Philip Morris has this Great "NEW" Cigarette with half the nicotine..People will Die two months Later.

[This message has been edited by FalconCOP161 (edited 02 September 1999).]

2K PER YEAR??!!! I rode my Busa more than that last month! I don't ride it to work either. It's unfortunate that you must have so little time for such a fine machine.
BTW - I took a 600 mile trip yesterday to Arkansas for some fun in the twisties and the Busa was most enjoyable. Guess that should go under the touring topic? I found at least two other small towns in our state besides my own where small crowds gather at the fuel up to ask about the Busa!

I almost forgot : I was going though a small town in my state on the way to Ark that is well know for setting up speed traps and even had some state legislation enacted that required speed surveys to be taken due to complaints from citizens. One of the cops was coming towards me head on and I was just waiting to hear the scream of my V1 as he attempted to drain me like a wallet vampire but instead he WAVED at me!!?? I couldn't believe it! What was even more surprising was that I waved back!! He never tried to clock me. We were both in a slow curvy section. That was the first time a cop had ever waved at me while in motion in one of my vehicles of speed. I have had a county sheriff give a wave at a 4 way stop while I was in my Z-28 before though. This small gesture of friendliness may seem insignificant to some but after all the BS I've been through with the wallet vampires the last few years it was truly refreshing.
Of course as soon as I got back to my home county the cops started shooting me with X,K and KA upon site regardless of how slow I was visually riding. Back to reality! I get clocked with instant on after slowly leaving a stop light and before I have even reached the speed limit in my town depending on which of my vehicles I'm in. (they only do this when I'm in my faster rides) Pure desperation it is.

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 02 September 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 02 September 1999).]

There is no price difference between car and bike Mobil one if bought at the right place...so use the bike oil...I rest my case..

I just spoke with a person at Mobil Oil Corporation concerning using "car" oil in motorcycles. He had stated that in the future there will be different designations specifically for "motorcycles" and that they have had their motorcycle specific oil out for a few months but it wouldn't hurt to use Mobile 1 15w-50w in your motorcycle as long as your owner's manual specifies and or agrees with what is recommended on the back of the bottle. He said that this is the only "car" oil (synthetic) that they recommend you use as it won't cause your clutch to slip. This oil is only $3.50 to $3.88 a quart at Wal Mart (depending on where you live).

[This message has been edited by asubayah (edited 28 September 1999).]

Hapo,I've used 10/40 Golden Spectro blend in my Hayabusa after 1902 miles of normal riding and break in period using standard motorcycle 10/40 oil.After installing the new blend of oil,a new oil filter and chain cleaning and adjustment I took my bike to my friends shop for a Dyno run and posted a 159 rwhp run on the bike which is stock no mods at all.Used Golden Spectro on my 89 GSXR-1100 and sold the bike this year and the new owner was amazed on how strong the engine was after all those years and I told the new owner that I used Golden Spectro oil blend and for gas I ran Union 76 High oct or Chervon gas High oct.Hope this helps you.

Back