Missing Gears

mattsmusic

Registered
Hi - Not sure if you guys remember me but I joined the board back in May after buying my 2002 black/blue/silver Busa. At the time I was complaining about how uncomfortable the bike was.

I've since logged almost 1500 miles on it and although it still isn't the pinnacle of comfort, I'm digging it. I just did a 250 mile round trip from Boston to Hartford CT yesterday and the only thing that's a little sore are my tricepts.

Anyway, the bike did something strange yesterday and I wanted to see if this is something I should be concerned about. On two different occasions the gear box mis-shifted between 5th and 6th gear. It seemed to go into nuetral instead of 6th. Luckily I wasn't on the throttle very hard when it happened.

Is something that's normal for this bike?

Thanks, Matt

Fake Nuetral, Happens when you soft shoe a shift. Shift like you mean it, even when just chilling you'll be fine. Be extra careful getting it back into gear after missing a gear. You can really tweak the tranny....

Wierd, it felt like it went into gear, but when I let out the clutch there wasn't much happening. Other than me revving the piss out of the engine that is... Does that only happen between 5th and 6th?

Common between 5th and 6th. No big deal. Just shift with more authority and like Rev said be careful getting back in gear (slow down, pull in the clutch, jam it into 5th, and release the clutch slow and easy so as not to "shock" the tranny and or the drivetrain).

Yes, some experience it more than others but nothing out of the ordinary.

I've only done it once after 50k miles, you just have to make sure you move the shifter all the way, not hard, just all the way, that's what happened to me. I was shifting quickly and got a little sloppy, not pulling all the way up. Hasn't happened since.

i spoke with bod and tree and they said after forth you dont need to use the clutch i tried it and the bike even shifts better. they said it doesnt hurt the tranny either. For me it doesnt work til the bike has warmed up a bit

matt, lota talk on this in numerous threads already. Go get yourself some synthetic after 2k miles and shift like u mean it.

1,500 miles...Do you want to sell that bike???
evil.gif

set your gear poop lever lower to your shoe r boot. That way you will be shifting stronge due to the angle.

Back