Mirror Problem

OnAHiABusa

Registered
I ride quite a bit on the expressways around Chicago. Like other big cities, traffic is heavy and you have to work the lanes sometimes. I just got a full face helmet and realize it cuts down on my peripheral vision. The busa mirrors are good, but there seems to be a blind spot that I need to do the owl neck thing to try to overcome. Was thinking there must be a smallish convex stick on mirror or something to put in the corner of the existing mirror to help the situation.
How does everyone else cope with this? Any suggestions?

I pretty much do not use my mirrors for much anyway, not really an answer but the headcheck is a much better way to stay alive...

I'm with Rev AND Tin on this one.

"Objects in mirror are DEADLIER than they appear"

I bought some CF look mirrors made by Emgo........2" taller and have a 1" longer stalk than stock.
They really help......at first I didn't like the fact that they stuck up and out more, but now I really like them. :thumbsup:

Can we see a picture of your mirrors?
Don't mind that ugly peckerhead in the background.......only recent pic I have. :eek: :drool:

Busa99.jpg

I ride quite a bit on the expressways around Chicago.  Like other big cities, traffic is heavy and you have to work the lanes sometimes.  I just got a full face helmet and realize it cuts down on my peripheral vision.  The busa mirrors are good, but there seems to be a blind spot that I need to do the owl neck thing to try to overcome.  Was thinking there must be a smallish convex stick on mirror or something to put in the corner of the existing mirror to help the situation.  
How does everyone else cope with this?  Any suggestions?
Also, if your helmet is cutting down on your peripheral vision, you might want to look around at some different helmets. I have not had this problem with the Arai or the Shoei.
Actually turning to have a look also seems to give the traffic a pretty good idea of what your thinking about doing, not to mention is just a little intimidating which can sometimes help in traffic...
There is also a kit out there that includes a small camera and an LCD screen for about $250. It is supposed to give you a pretty wide FOV behind your bike.

I agree with Rev... Never trust the mirror only. But, you could try looking through your arm. Before I got the 1" extensions (which work pretty nicely) I always looked through my arm... I.e. inside of it when it is bent at 90 degrees and perpendicular to your body.

-Rip

:) :super: Go to wallmart and buy two small round mirrors. convex shaped,,, put them on the lower outside of your factory mirrors . I have done this with all my bikes, works perfect... Learn to use them, by riding on the interstate with traffic beside you . You'll see how they work. But i still look over my shoulder too. there is no such thing as being too safe....

I guess I'm the odd ball out. If your mirrors are properly adjusted there is no blind spot. Not that head checking is bad, just that in rush hour traffic that inability to see that that rat@#$% cager just stood on his/her brakes could ruin your whole day! Besides you can pretty well know who's beside you by who you just passed. You ARE on a Busa remember. ;)

OK Someones gotta say it...Your on a busa...Who the hell cares what is behind you? I mean if your riding it properly whatever it is won't be there for long... ;)

Hey Guys. Thanks for all the good advice and comments. Rev's comment about the helmet I think is a major problem. It cuts off my peripheral vision to the point that the head turn is excessive to see what I need to. Some shopping needs to be done there. And MSF don't let them get to you. You're a cool looking dude and that busa is outstanding. And by the way, coming from flat Illinois, that looks like God's country you live in.
Incidentally, I took my first long ride on Mr. Busa yesterday, 650 miles down through the Illinois and back. The comfort was amazingly good. This is my first sport bike and I thought the bar reach would get to me, but it didn't. The only problem I had with the bike is that is sooooo easy to be going 100 without even realizing it. It's fun to play with cages on the open road too. Surprised I didn't wind up with the mother of all tickets.

Can we see a picture of your mirrors?
Don't mind that ugly peckerhead in the background.......only recent pic I have. :eek:      :drool:
Hey, MSF, those don't look bad at all.  Kinda cool really.  Tell me, did they weigh less than factory?
Didn't actually weigh them......stupid me hey.
I'm thinkin they're deffinately not more, and they were only $50 CDN that's about $5 US :bounce:

Back