Mirror extenders..?

Jimshog

Donating Member
Registered
I installed the standard 1 inch mirror extenders in hope of being able to see behind me. Unfortunately my shoulders still block the view. I can see diagionally either lane but not directly behind which I find un-nerving.  
sad.gif
Does anyone know of longer mirrors or thicker extenders?  
dunno.gif

Thanks.
-Jim

Have you tried Rizoma? Not sure if they improve the view but they look like they could..

I have Delrin 1" extenders and they work fine. I can see the edge of an elbow in the mirrors but its not near as bad as they were before. If I tuck in my elbow a bit I can see directly behind me. Otherwise, its a good view of the lanes next to me.

I just have the standard one inch extenders (cannot remember who I bought them from) and can see well...except to see directly behind me, I need to tuck my elbows in. I got used to doing that and don't even notice it anymore.

Mirrors are for sissys,just turn your head.ha

I dont have mirrors and feel it has been safer for me cause ther arent any blind spots no more because i actually have to turn and look,sometimes you get lazy just glancing into a mirror and miss something in a blind spot...besides,I havent found a set i really like yet
cool.gif

I spent , $165.oo on a set & they look Great BUT I cant see behind me either.. I dont know , what brand looks really good and actually workz..It doesnt seem it would be that difficult for some manufacturer to make a set at a reasonable price..

seriously?? dude, just turn your head-helluvah lot cheaper, no one can steal your neck, or break it off the bike in the event of a crash??
been riding 3 years w/no mirrors, and I prefer the constant-lane-checking to using mirrors; first season i rode my bike, I cant tell you how many times I was gettin ready to lane-change just to turn my head last minute n see a cage pullin into my blindspot
guns.gif
cages and
guns.gif
mirrors-they're a crutch and I aint crippled; my neck works just fine
cool.gif

guns.gif

I have come to be comfortable with turning my head very often, but a few years ago I mounted a small camera and a 2" LCD display on a bike.

I did it just for fun, but it turned out to be useful. The whole kit was worth $80 and was intended for a car. There were no wires between the camera and the display, just DC power for each component. It was not a sportbike anyway, it was a GoldWing. The result was absolutely no blind spot. Some night vision on the back (I could see a car with the headlights off at night) and absolutely no need to move my eyes from the 12:00 position.

I wouldn't do the same with my busa anyway. Now I just turn my head quickly.

I went with Emgo Gixxer 1k mirrors. Seem to stick out further and give better view behind and the image is alot more clearer then stock (busa "Buzz" doesn't fuzz up objects in the emgo mirrors as bad).

Anyone not using mirrors are really handicapping themselves. I've saved myself alot of trouble with aggressive cagers (and maybe a few tickets) by taking a glance at both mirrors every 3 to 4 seconds (not too hard to train into your sub-concious). And there's nothing "elite" about the common sense of taking a glance over your shoulder before switching lanes rather then just a glance at the mirrors. Not wise to ride a bike like a negligent cager.
laugh.gif
In terms of just keeping awareness of whats behind you (no lane changing) A quick eye glance at the mirrors is quicker then a neck turn which is something to consider since it could make the difference of seeing that dog/kid and ball/car bolt out the driveway, car blow the stop sign, etc or not seeing them and reacting in time.

To each their own though

Thanks to all for the collective input. Coldstone1298 pretty much nailed it on the head; I ride in DC which is a real melting pot of different drivers and conditions. It's a bad combination of aggressive drivers, those who follow too closely, and very poor drivers in conjunction with hazardous road conditions that motivate my desire to see behind me. Pure self protection folks. I also agree with Bigdiesel that frequent shoulder checks are in order "“ especially before changing lanes. The mirrors on my Harley allow me to see behind me and thus allow me to avoid the tailgaters as much as possible; I find the transition back to the Busa disconcerting primarily for that reason.
-Jim

Back