Miles per tire?

Billy Busa

Banned
I have 8000 miles on my stock tires on my 08 busa. I don't race and drive it normally.
My question is: How many miles are the tires good for????

Way fewer, typically than that. Like half what you've achieved.

When you get new rubber, expect an amazing upgrade in handling and hence, fun!

:whistle:

WOW!! I guess I don't ride normal. I was getting 1500 miles out of the BTO-12 SS,...............and recently got 4000 from my Pilot Powers. I never do burn-outs,...............just ride,...........what I think as normal. :whistle:

The tread on my tires don't look bad.
How can you tell if you need new tires?

The handling should probably be the first thing you notice.

When you're leaned or leaning over, the flat spot created by commuting or excessive highway miles, etc., is separated from the sidewall by a barely perceptible ridge (sometimes you can see it, sometimes you can't; but if you run your fingers across the tire right to left and back, you will probably feel them both). It makes the bike feel unstable as you cross that ridge from the flat spot to the sidewall and back. It's disconcerting.

Another item is when you achieve speed, the tires might feel wobbly. This is the steel belts separating and creating an uneven (although normally invisible) circle, or maybe like the circle has a few flat-spots in it.

Trust me, brother. You need new tires. The difference is amazing.

I just took some pics of my tire after 8000 miles on it.
What do ya think?
ImageShack Links Do Not Work

Billy: I can see the ridges in the pix you just posted.

I would look at that tire two ways.. according to the manufacturer's definition, your tire is still ok. It hasn't hit the wear bars so you still have some life left in it. If it were my tire, I would replace it because of the cornering issues Scar stated above. But it looks like you commute on it, so I say ride on. :thumbsup:

I would look at that tire two ways.. according to the manufacturer's definition, your tire is still ok. It hasn't hit the wear bars so you still have some life left in it. If it were my tire, I would replace it because of the cornering issues Scar stated above. But it looks like you commute on it, so I say ride on. :thumbsup:

+1. would replace for cornering issues as mentioned and get a touring tire which suites your riding style

The tire doesnt show any abrasion whatsover. I could understand the chicken strips but even the center of it looks smooth! My Avons look like I took a rasp to them. Just an observation but this doesn't look like a bike that gets ridden very hard.

I'd say your tires look pretty darn good for 8000 mi. I have 5000+ on mine and there's still good tread left. I do a mix of riding that includes lots of curvy roads so there's very little "squaring-off" on the tire. I don't do burn-outs or wheelies, I just ride. I do go fast from time to time though. I'm still on the O.E.M. BT015 tires by the way.

I thought I did well getting 5000 out of my Bridgestones. :bowdown:

You did. The bike creates so much torque that burn outs aren't required. 8000 miles on tires that look like they have 2000 on them is amazing. I'm breaking my '08 in and I probably won't get 4K on the rear. I typically get 12 - 15K on the front.

strips/planks/ ?? coups? how do you keep the tires looking like that? we need to go for a ride..

Back