Stock Tires

MikesGSX1300RK9

Registered
I recently had my 2009 Busa in for its 4000 mile service. Shop said the tires are still OK... probably another couple thousand on them.

I was given a guideline of 5000 miles rear, 10,000 miles front for sportbike tires... just as a general guide... when I started riding several years ago.

Can anyone comment on how many miles are reasonable to expect on the factory original tires, '09 Busa, for a guy who doesn't ride too hard? I like an occasional blast on the throttle, but don't corner hard here in FL (sand) and DO ride the bike to work every day. Tires look OK to me... but don't want any unpleasant surprises.

Mike

Sounds about right. If I remember correctly, I got about 4,500 miles out of my stock rear. I changed front and rear the first time just because I wanted something softer than the stock BT-015. I get about 4k out of the rear and 6k out of the front now. Its going to depend a lot on which tire you choose, riding style, and condition of the roads in your area. Just keep your eye on the wear bars.

I did a thread about a month ago that showed my OEM tires on my 2012. I was able to get 5,600 miles out of my rear. Front is still good. Based on your riding style you may get to 6,000.

When you run thru those stock tires, you will find threads and threads about tires...

I recommend the Pirelli Angels. Very nice tires. I went straight to them from stockers. Stockers were dangerous tires in my opinion. :firing: Target practice!!

wear bars! if they start to show (regardless of miles), replace.
You mean I shouldn't wait until I have a one inch wide strip of cord all the way around the rear and spots of cord showing on the front :laugh:

I recommend the Pirelli Angels. Very nice tires. I went straight to them from stockers. Stockers were dangerous tires in my opinion. :firing: Target practice!!

You have considerably less traction with your Pirelli Angels than you did with your stock BT016's. The up side is what you lost in traction you gained in longevity.

In my opinion, I have better control with my Pirelli's then the Bridgestone's. It actually helps roll into your lines in turns where the Bridgestones almost want your bike to sit straight up.

In my opinion, I have better control with my Pirelli's then the Bridgestone's. It actually helps roll into your lines in turns where the Bridgestones almost want your bike to sit straight up.

Better control is accomplished through improving one's skills. Tires are round and black. They come in different sizes and construction designed for a specific purpose. Your touring angles have a big advantage in mileage and in return give up a certain degree of grip. All touring tires have a flatter profile than performance tires such as the BT016. Which means slower tip in with more rubber on the ground down the center. Your angles will give you a different feel than the 16's due to a heavier/stiffer carcass. However, your angles will never perform as well nor give you the same degree of grip over your OEM tires.

What you feel in your new Angels is due to replacing a worn out tire with a new tire. No matter what tire you chose, the feel would be an upgrade over your worn out tires. Don't be confused with better feel on new tires means you have improved performance. It just means you no longer have a big flat spot down the center!

Never liked the stones. Mich. much better , but the profile seemed flater . Q2s on now , seems to turn in better and hold the line.

Back