Might be a dumb question... BUT

Goatkart

Registered
I've never owned a motorcycle with electronic fuel injection... always carb motors with mechanical fuel pumps...

So, now the dumb question..

Can you bump start the busa if the battery dies? LOL

i mean... the fuel pump wont prime and the injectors wont fire if there is no power....

then again, if you get the stator turning you have power...

i know dumb question... :rofl:

Last edited:
no...the computer needs 12V to function. Not sure you could get it turning fast enough to produce 12V, on flat ground anyways.

I have push started mine before, is that what you are talking about.

As long as the battery has enough juice to fire the fuel pump you can bump start it. (Use 2nd gear) If it gives you the death rattle as soon as you turn the key, forget it.

If the battery can run the computer and the fuel pump you should be able to push start. These two only draw a few amps nothing like the starter, so unless the battery is totally dead push starting should not be a problem. That being said I've never tried it.
Posted via Mobile Device

ahh kk, thanks for the points... kinda nailed what i was wondering...

the old bikes you could practically run with no battery LOL...

thanks for the input guys

Well, I know I met a group at a gas station one time, and I had to jump my bike before I left the house. After I pumped my gas, I turned the key, nothing. No, ruh, ruh, ruh, nothing. And some dude on a Harley, yes I know, gave me a push. Second gear and vrooom, she fired right up. Didnt have any problems the rest of the day. I hate a weak battery!

Well, I know I met a group at a gas station one time, and I had to jump my bike before I left the house. After I pumped my gas, I turned the key, nothing. No, ruh, ruh, ruh, nothing. And some dude on a Harley, yes I know, gave me a push. Second gear and vrooom, she fired right up. Didnt have any problems the rest of the day. I hate a weak battery!
My guess would be that in this case you had a loose connection. If the battery doesn't have enough juice to prime the fuel pump, nothing gets to the injectors.... If you can hear the fuel pump hit, you're good.

My guess would be that in this case you had a loose connection. If the battery doesn't have enough juice to prime the fuel pump, nothing gets to the injectors.... If you can hear the fuel pump hit, you're good.

I believe it did have enough to prime the pump, just not enough to turn the starter. Learn something new everyday! :beerchug:

Ive done it once, i got to push while a buddy rode. Im not sure how he tricked me into that, but he did. :banghead:

I have push started mine before, is that what you are talking about.

I was there I saw it.

James wasnt that a guy on a Harley helping you push it. :laugh::laugh:

( Sorry ) Dont Ban me

Edit : Ok I should have kept reading before posting. I see you fessed up about the Harley guy.

Last edited:
James wasnt that a guy on a Harley helping you push it. :laugh::laugh:

( Sorry ) Dont Ban me

Edit : Ok I should have kept reading before posting. I see you fessed up about the Harley guy.

just keeping poking that sore wound.... ya big meanie...

Back