Michael Schumacher to ride MotoGP

bigoltool

Registered
I was reading on the MCN Australia site that Schumacher will ride 3 Wild card races this year! Anyone seen anything to substantiate this?

"F1 legend Michael Schumacher is set to make his GP debut on two wheels... Apparently the German will race at Jerez, Sachsenring and Catalunya, three circuits he knows well from his F1 days. Schumacher will ride a Ducati and is currently training for his three wildcard MotoGP outings".

Linky

Wow ....I bet he'll be kickin' azz and takin names in no time.

I bet he'll be in the back of the pack.  Everyone else riding in MotoGP has YEARS of motorcycle racing which is VERY different from F1 racing.  Being fast by yourself and being fast in traffic are two very different things.

Not to mention riding in the top 10 in MotoGP means knowing how to set-up your bike.  How much bike racing/set-up experience does he have??   ....

I bet he'll be in the back of the pack. Everyone else riding in MotoGP has YEARS of motorcycle racing which is VERY different from F1 racing. Being fast by yourself and being fast in traffic are two very different things.

Not to mention riding in the top 10 in MotoGP means knowing how to set-up your bike. How much bike racing/set-up experience does he have?? ....
I relate this to guys like Juan Montoya and Jacque Villeneuve trying to jump into Nascar and thinking it will be a cake walk. Both of those guys were at one point at the tip of the spear in F1 and neither of them has done much in Nascar yet. Not that they wont with time. But time is most assuredly not on Mikey's side. Just ask guys like Schwantz or Doohan how easy it is to compete at that level for an old man? Hell Maybe Scwatz will come out of retirement to race him?
laugh.gif

I haven't heard anything, but you'd think it would make the headlines ... like it did in November when Schumacher tested Ducati's MotoGP bike in Valencia and came within 5 seconds of Pedrosa's record-setting time.

I think it's wonderful and great publicity for Moto GP and motorcycling in general...BUT....I bet he's even beat by Kenny Roberts Jr. ! As hard as it is going from world class motorcycle racing to the same in car racing....it's ten times more difficult going to the young mans sport of either MotoGP, WSB or AMA SB. Just my opinion as a lifelong spectator of both genres of motorsports! Raydog

I relate this to guys like Juan Montoya and Jacque Villeneuve trying to jump into Nascar and thinking it will be a cake walk.
Please, I seriously doubt those two guys or anyone jumping into Nascar thinks it is, or ever will be a piece of cake.
Congratulation to Schumacher if its true or at least for trying.

Man, all the props in the world to the guy for trying, but I'm having a flashback to Michael Jordan playing baseball...
blush.gif

cool news but i don't think he can get a huge success like in F1 ...

Raydog calling MyMaster...+1 on your point Bill, I love to see crossover racing, i.e. Eddie Lawson was awesome fun to watch on four wheels, one of the most incredible racing 1/2 hours I've ever seen was watching Wayne Rainey and Doug Chandler dicing @ Laguna Seca in unlimited go-karts (250cc 6 speed)! And ALL of them take it very seriously regardless if it's their specialty. Doyle

Raydog calling MyMaster...+1 on your point Bill, I love to see crossover racing, i.e. Eddie Lawson was awesome fun to watch on four wheels, one of the most incredible racing 1/2 hours I've ever seen was watching Wayne Rainey and Doug Chandler dicing @ Laguna Seca in unlimited go-karts (250cc 6 speed)! And ALL of them take it very seriously regardless if it's their specialty.   Doyle
Thread Jack, sorry. Yes I love to see their experiences and reactions when they try a different form of competition. I loving all forms of motor-sports enjoy seeing recognizable names pop up unexpectedly, it's like this could be exciting, lets see what happens.

PS. Doyle obviously your not under water.

Anybody remember Bob Hannah(who I consider one of the best MX'ers of all time) trying Mod VP outboard boat racing? Two blowovers and he was done.

Back