Ben Spies Bumps To Moto-GP 2010

MPH 200

Donating Member
Registered
WAY TO GO BEN - ALL AMERICAN TEAM W/ EDWARDS

James Toseland loses MotoGP ride - | Motorcycle Sport | MotoGP News | MotoGP Results | MCN

James Toseland loses MotoGP ride
By Matthew Birt -
MotoGP
17 September 2009 13:17

James Toseland is likely to make a swift but reluctant return to World Superbikes in 2010 after losing his MotoGP ride.

World Superbike sensation Ben Spies has opted to quit World Superbikes and move to the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 squad where he will join fellow Texan Colin Edwards next season in an all-American team.

According to MCN sources, Toseland’s departure was finalised earlier this week after meetings between Tech 3 boss Herve Poncharal and senior Yamaha management in Milan.

Despite a hugely promising rookie campaign in 2008 when he claimed six top six finishes, the Yorkshireman has struggled to build on that success this season.

He was badly hindered by two massive pre-season crashes but only three top six finishes in the opening 13 races of 2009 have failed to save Toseland from the axe.

Spies, who recently signed a two-year deal with Yamaha, has decided to quit WSB even though he has yet to clinch the world title.

It was thought the triple American superbike champion would delay a decision on his 2010 plans until his WSB title fight with Ducati star Noriyuki Haga had been concluded.

But his decision has meant the end of Toseland’s MotoGP career after just two seasons racing against in the elite class.

MCN also understands Toseland’s manager Roger Burnett was in Milan this week trying to secure the 28-year-old British rider a place in Yamaha’s World Superbike squad as replacement for Spies.

But there is fierce competition for an R1 ride with World Supersport leader Cal Crutchlow a leading candidate. Aussie Chris Vermeulen also held talks with Yamaha management in Italy this week.

An official announcement on Spies’ decision could be made shortly with details now being leaked. If not the deal will probably made official at the Imola WSB round next weekend.

Spies’ decision to move to MotoGP will leave British fans without a home rider to support in 2010.

Yep....announced and posted a couple weeks ago.

Great stuff! He will definitely be the next great American to bring a GP Championship back to the US.
Nicky, unfortunately isn't a rider that will be competitive week in - week out IMO. Ben WILL BE!
Till then...one more year of watching him dominate WSB :thumbsup:

Good to hear, though I hate that James lost his ride... sounds like an excellent reason to bring back the Fantasy GP! Rich, Charles - whut uppp?!?

Yep....announced and posted a couple weeks ago.

Great stuff! He will definitely be the next great American to bring a GP Championship back to the US.
Nicky, unfortunately isn't a rider that will be competitive week in - week out IMO. Ben WILL BE!
Till then...one more year of watching him dominate WSB :thumbsup:

JUST ANNOUNCED

Ben is moving at the end of this season

JUST ANNOUNCED

Ben is moving at the end of this season

:snap: I quickly read through it & thought this was just a repost of his announcement a couple weeks ago to begin in 2011.

Sorry about that MPH200. :bowdown:

Quite a big leap for him in such a short time. But I know he is up for it.

Look out Rossi, Lorenzo & Stoner. A hired gun is coming for you! And he goes by the name of "ELBOWS":thumbsup:

Although I think this will be the MOST LOGICAL move for Ben to make, I still think it's all speculation and rumors-thanx to the media. Until we hear from Spies himself, that's all it will be for now.....

That's good, he should make it more interesting. Glad Colin is staying there. He is the man. Shoots from the hip.

Did I read somewhere that Spies couldn't go to a factory Yamaha from WSB due to some kind of MotoGP rule?:rulez:

Yes,the factory teams cannot have a rookie in their first season of moto gp.
This ,to encourage more teams,since the grid is so small these days.:beerchug:

That's good, he should make it more interesting. Glad Colin is staying there. He is the man. Shoots from the hip.

Did I read somewhere that Spies couldn't go to a factory Yamaha from WSB due to some kind of MotoGP rule?:rulez:

Yes,the factory teams cannot have a rookie in their first season of moto gp.
This ,to encourage more teams,since the grid is so small these days
.:beerchug:

Sorry guys...bu that is not accurate. Correct me if I'm wrong. But didn't Nicky go straight to the factory Repsol Honda team? I believe he did.

So did Lorenzo. Is that a new rule? I wasn't aware of it.

If that is the rule, then I guess the move makes more sense, since he can transition to a factory ride later. I still think making the move to MotoGP is risky for him if he can't secure a factory ride. Look at Toseland for an example of what happens to an excellent rider who moves up to the wrong team. I hope this works out for him, but I would've rather seen him stay in WSBK for another year, rather than run with a non-factory team where he has virtually no chance to contend for the title due to an absence of factory backing. There's a reason why Rossi, Lorenzo, Pedrosa, and Stoner (before the mystery illness) dominate every race. They are the best riders coupled with lots of dough from the factories.

Last edited:
Its a new rule.
Because Moto gp is hurting, just like everyone and else and need to keep satalite teams along side the factory teams.Trying to keep as many bikes on the track as possiable.:beerchug:

Last edited:
Back