Rossi to join Ferrari F1 team in '07?

gtrpimp76

S.Q.U.I.D. Extraordinaire
Donating Member
Registered
don't know if this has been brought up here much. discuss?

Valentino Rossi to join Ferrari F1 team in 2007
September 5th, 2005
Fiat SpA’s sports car unit Ferrari SpA plans to hire the Italian motorbike champion Valentino Rossi for its Formula 1 team in 2007, the daily La Repubblica said without giving a source.

The three-year contract will total 80 mln eur, it added.

Rossi will form Ferrari’s new team from 2007 with Kimi Raikkoken, a Finn currently with the F1 team McLaren, replacing the current German world champion Michael Schumacher and the Brazilian Felipe Massa, it said.

Massa recently signed a contract to replace Schumacher’s current teammate Rubens Barrichello next year.
Rossi, 26, is currently leading the MotoGP championship.

Nicknamed ‘The Doctor’, Rossi is considered to have strong charisma and to appeal to advertisers.

La Repubblica said that Ferrari’s sponsor Marlboro, a US cigarette brand owned by Altria Group Inc, has asked Rossi to break up a sponsorship contract with the rival French brand Gauloise, owned by Altadis SA.

Ferrari’s other main sponsor, Vodafone Group PLC could push Rossi to relinquish an advertising contract with Telecom Italia SpA, it said.

Rossi to join Ferrari F1 for 3 years....Hmm, I'm not buying it. Maybe I could see them starting him in GP series, but to just throw him in F1 is purely someone's wet dream. I do know he will test the Ferrari out, but to sign him is a whole different world. There are so many awesome drivers out there in the GP series, but not enough spots for these drivers. Maybe Redbull team could sign him, but I even doubt that.

Than again Ferrari is having such a awful year, maybe they figgure - "Fug it, lets try'a dat Rossi , cause things couldn't get much worse that they already are".
laugh.gif

if you listen closely, you can hear Yamaha crying.

It would be nice to see someone else win for a while in the GP...

I remember watching 2wheel tuesday on Speed and they had footage of Rossi testing one of the Ferraris. But he had spun out and ended up in the grass. I think Kimi is going to be the man on that team especially w/ Ferarri. I believe he's second in points, right behind Fernando Alonso. I would've love to see Juan Montoya in a Ferrari too.

Why would the Iceman & Montoya leave McLaren to join Ferrari? Sorry, once again I aint buying it, than again Ferrari has some deep pockets, but McLaren is gonna have some very deep pockets after this year.

JP Montoya won't leave Mclaren. But Kimi is replacing Schumacher next year.

Back