Method(s) for painting fairing bolts?

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
Last time I asked this I also asked about the inner fairings and the bolt question was totally disregarded.

I want to have some bolts black and some maroon/red to match. I don't need the entire anodized bolt sets I've see on-line (they're expensive) and I don't want to have to buy 2 full sets (1 black, 1 red).

Does anyone have a cheap/easy method for coloring the bolt heads themselves? Or is powdercoating my only choice other than buying two new anodized sets rendering half of them useless?

They are stainless steel, so prep them accordingly then rattle can. It works OK for the fairing bolts.

I recently did this and it came out great. I first sanded the heads of the bolts to give the paint something good to adhere to. Then I sprayed a primer over the bolts. (2 light coats) Next, I painted the heads (spray paint of course). (2 light coats) And to protect the finish, I sprayed a clear acrylic enamel over that to protect the paint. (2 coats or maybe 3) Very easy and very inexpensive. I purchased everything I needed from Lowe's for about $20. Good luck... and sorry I don't have pics. I just never have the camera handy when doing projects like most people. I'm always anxious to see the finished product.

+1 what was said above. You can get an exact match tot he paint color from color rite. A bit more expensive than Lowes or Home Depot, but you can match the exact color to your bike. Check 'em out: LINK

www.bikebolts.com

can't hardly beat $25 for an entire set of fairing bolts and you don't have to do anything away from your computer
laugh.gif

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but anyone else use the screws only/bolts only kit from Bike Bolts? Curious as to the quality of the paint they use and the fit of the bolts. Was gonna paint mine black for for $25 might as well just go that route and save some ozone! :thumbsup:

I have a buddy here in KCMO who Powdercoats...he did my rear sets and clutch/brake levers...I asked him about my bolts, he then proceeded to powdercoat the entire bikes bolt kit for me for free, even did the Frankenbolts...Took about 30 minutes from start to finish...Looks fantastic...

Ill post some pics up of his work tonight...

I have a buddy here in KCMO who Powdercoats...he did my rear sets and clutch/brake levers...I asked him about my bolts, he then proceeded to powdercoat the entire bikes bolt kit for me for free, even did the Frankenbolts...Took about 30 minutes from start to finish...Looks fantastic...

Ill post some pics up of his work tonight...
Hmmmm...doesn't help me. :laugh: I wish I had someone local that could shoot my bolts for me. Only local place I found wants $50....they got a good chuckle out of me and that was about it.

An easy way to prep them is to put the bolt in a hand drill and at a reasonable rpm...scuff it up with 220 -400 grit paper...then push the bolts through cardboard...then prime, paint, and clear.

They are stainless steel, so prep them accordingly then rattle can. It works OK for the fairing bolts.

If this is true call up your local gunsmith and tell him to drop them in his blueing tank, He would probably charge you 5 bucks. They will come out black as night and they will have rust protection. :beerchug:

Webshots.com Links Do Not Work

cheers
ken

I just sanded them to ruff them up and primed then painted

b4
after
what I painted them on.

IMG_0113.jpg