Method(s) for painting fairing bolts?

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
Last time I asked this I also asked about the inner fairings and the bolt question was totally disregarded.

I'd like to have some bolts colored black and some maroon/red to match.  I don't need the entire anodized bolt sets I've see on-line (they're expensive) and I don't want to have to buy 2 full sets (1 black, 1 red).

Does anyone have a cheap/easy method for coloring the bolt heads themselves?  Or is powdercoating my only choice other than buying two new anodized sets rendering half of them useless?

I think this got answered in your other thread.
rock.gif
I know that's where I posted along with a couple others.

I took a cardboard box, poked some holes in it, slid the bolts into the holes so that the heads were up and paintable.

From there I got some spray paint (automotive style from a local parts house with a nice selection of rattle cans) that closely matched the paint on the bike and sprayed them.

Used a paint soaked qtip to clean up the hex holes in the bolts if the allen wrench messed up the paint on the way in.

I am at the office and dont have pics here of it but the look came out real nice and it did not cost much at all.

(YH2K @ Apr. 05 2007,07:39) I took a cardboard box, poked some holes in it, slid the bolts into the holes so that the heads were up and paintable.

From there I got some spray paint (automotive style from a local parts house with a nice selection of rattle cans) that closely matched the paint on the bike and sprayed them.

Used a paint soaked qtip to clean up the hex holes in the bolts if the allen wrench messed up the paint on the way in.

I am at the office and dont have pics here of it but the look came out real nice and it did not cost much at all.
Great idea using the cardboard. Was wondering though if it's beneficial to first use some type of primer for painting metal first...if they even make any? Have you experienced any chipping?

Back